[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Johnathan Franzen book would be the best to read first?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: FreedomOprahBookClub_post.jpg (130 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
FreedomOprahBookClub_post.jpg
130 KB, 450x300
Which Johnathan Franzen book would be the best to read first? I've only heard of The Corrections.

If I like other post-modern white male authors like Delillo, DFW, Pynchon and Ellis (... ) is he a good choice, or is he just total shit?
>>
>>7653799
>Delillo, DFW, Pynchon and Ellis
So you're a 20 year old college male of the white persuation?

Then yes, start with that one.
>>
>>7653799
If you like DFW then you'll probably like Franzen
>>
>>7653807
I am!!!!!

but desu I really do like some of those authors (some) but I'm not interested in treading the same stuff, Franzen is like a go to when I've run out of choices. I picked up a russian Scifi novel that has sent me into an existential crisis over if I'll ever like reading as much as I did these past few months.
>>
fuck Franzen read Thomas Bernhard you little bitch
>>
>>7653810
>If you like DFW then you'll probably like Franzen

Basically false by definition.
>>
>>7653799
The corrections is the best overall; freedom has the highest highs but is worse as a whole. You'd guess it'd be the other way around. Go figure.

Anyway, he's pretty bad. Nothing compared to Pynchon or Wallace. Honestly closer in style to modern television shows like Arrested development than he is to literature. You certainly will develop relationships with somewhat realistic Americans and emotionally feel quite a bit, but don't expect to be asked to think anything
>>
>>7653810
>>7653877
yeah im not getting that comparison at all buddy. just because they were chums back in the day doesnt mean that their writing style is similar
>>
>>7653799
Franzen simply describes the condition of a certain segment of American society (white, middle/uppermoddle class), which happems to comprise the majority od tge reading public. It is relevant by selectiom bias.
>>
Informative posts boyos. Think I'll pick The Corrections up to see what's the deal.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.