[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lit to conquer the world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: David_napoleon.jpg (139 KB, 647x768) Image search: [Google]
David_napoleon.jpg
139 KB, 647x768
Let's get a thread about literature that would inspire young minds to strive for greatness and both to get them inspired to want to conquer the world but also get them to believe they could.
No self help shit-tier lit though.

I'll start with a biography of pic-related's life.
Let's go guys.
>>
>>7653367
The Quraan
>>
>>7653382
Be serious bruv.
I said no self help shit-tier lit.
Get your shit together.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>7653401
>>
>>7653401
The Bible
>>
File: GreeneRobert-48LawsOfPower.jpg (54 KB, 220x275) Image search: [Google]
GreeneRobert-48LawsOfPower.jpg
54 KB, 220x275
>>7653367
Not even trolling senpai
>>
>>7653437
Truth is I could actually believe this one would help one get on track.

>>7653432
Seriously bruv, the bible literally preaches give up all your belongings and dreams because god loves the common man.
Why do you even bother trying to be a smart ass on the internet just to annoy other people?
>>
>>7653464
The Torah
>>
>>7653367
Off the top of my head
>Napoleon The Great by Andrew Roberts
>The Civil/Gallic War by Ceaser
>The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
>The Art of War by Sun Tzu
>The Last Lion by William Manchester (Or another Churchill biography this one is real long)
>Herodotus' Histories

I'm sure there are countless others, something on Scott of the Antarctic or other explorers/brave men
>>
>>7653476
That sounds like some very interesting reading material, thanks for your input.
>>
>>7653476
gonna add some novels because I can
>Call of the Wild by Jack London
> For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
>The Iliad and Odyssey of Homer
>Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
>The Rough Riders by Theodore Roosevelt
>Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

call them memes all you want; they're memes for a reason
>>
>>7653511
I don't believe there are such things as meme novels.
People on this site just call them that because they want to have that special, original knowledge that no one else has. When the truth is it's all just a load of crap and there really is nothing new under the sun.

Not to say that I don't appreciate out of the box and unorthodox opinions because I really do.
>>
>>7653532
Yes I agree, a lot of people here have a superiority complex and will dismiss any books deemed too popular or simplistic.

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
- Ernst F. Schumacher
>>
Ralph Waldo Emerson's essays come to mind, especially "Self-Reliance".
>>
The Saga of the Volsungs
Plutarch's Lives
The Peloponnesian War
The Alexiad
Sun & Steel
>>
>>7653547
Ah a great and extremely relevant quote, that's really what I love about this site.
Despite all the retards on here you frequently encounter a likeminded individual but also I like how you can really discuss topics because although I have a lot of popular friends and such it really bores me how shallow conversations are between people around their twenties.

You can't discuss things like politics and subjects that really matter because either people aren't interested or they are to stupid to actually contribute anything of worth and when stuff like politics and those subjects do come up you can really feel that those who have the "loudest" opinion actually don't know shit and are just repeating what their dumbfuck dad talked about during lastnight's dinner.

I'm really not as angry as portrayed above, just needed to get that stuff out there yabish?
>>
>>7653367
Hanfeizi
>>
>>7653584
Definitely some interesting pieces in their bruv, will mosdef read 1&3
>>
Ride the Tiger, Epictetus, Thus Spake Zarathustra
>>
>>7653367
Bump, wanna good book about Napoleon Bonaparte
>>
>mastery
>storm of steel
>the alexander trilogy
>steve jobs
>>
>>7653654
as one anon said before the one by andrew roberts is good but I personally also liked the one by hermann lindquist
>>
>>7653367
BUmping the hell out of this thread
>>
Bios of Alexander the Great: Arrian, Rufus, and Plutarch.

>When they asked him to whom he bequeathed his kingdom, he answered, "To the best man."

Herodotus' histories for Persians being spanked:

>"You are now up against the noblest and most loyal city in Greece, and the bravest men." ...The dead were beyond counting. For the Greeks knew they were going to die at the hands of the Persians who had come around the mountain, and so they spared none of their strength, but fought the enemy with reckless disregard for their lives.

Livy's history of Rome:

>When every man must die, all that mattered was whether he died fighting in the line, where the common chances of war often raised the vanquished and crushed the victor, or whether later on amidst the smouldering ruins of the town, dishonoured by chains and tortured with the lash, he breathed his last before the eyes of wife and children, prisoners in the enemy’s hands.

>There really was, it seemed, a nation on this earth prepared to fight for the freedom of other men, and to fight at her own expense, and at the cost of hardship and peril to herself; a nation prepared to do this service not just for her near neighbours, for those in her part of the world, for lands geographically connected with her own, but even prepared to cross the sea in order to prevent the establishment of an unjust dominion in any quarter of the globe, and to ensure that right and justice, and the rule of law, should everywhere be supreme. By the single utterance of the herald all cities of Greece and Asia had been granted liberty. To conceive such a hope needed a bold spirit: to bring that hope to realization was a proof of boundless courage and good fortune without limit.

Polybius:

>“Bear yourselves like brave men who are worthy of your reputation and of your country…Those of you who fall will meet a death that is made for ever glorious by this sacrifice for your country, but those who save themselves by flight will be left with a life that brings them nothing but misery and disgrace…I pray that none of you may live to suffer this fate. And so now that Fortune has given us the choice of the most glorious of prizes according to which way the battle is decided, we should be the most mean-spirited, and in a word the most witless of all mankind if we were to reject the most splendid of rewards and choose the worst of misfortunes merely in order to cling to life. So when you go to meet the enemy, there are two objects only to keep before you, to conquer or to die. When men are inspired by that spirit, they will always master their adversaries, for when they enter the battle they have already chosen to sacrifice their lives.”

Pretty much any ancient history will reward you if you give it the chance.
>>
>>7653982
Wow that is actually an awesome response shit.
>>
>>7653655
How is storm of steel?
been wanting to get into that one
>>
>>7654484
It's a great book about ww 1 from the perspective of a german soldier and it really holds true to the actual history.
>>
>>7653382
>click on thread for post an average answer like "crime and punishment"
>read your post

thanks man, maybe i've laughed too hard but i had 5 seconds or real fun. i've literally spit over the screen
>>
>>7653982
I fuckin love when polybius just starts shitting on other historians, he starts like every chapter with a rant about how other histories are too emotionally connected and lose their objectivity.

And then 2 pages later he starts ranting about those FUCKING RAT FACED AETOLIAN KIKES
>>
Mein Kampf.
>>
>>7656738
Hahaha you're absolutely right. "Timaeus is biased and his venom against certain peoples is a reprehensible weakness of his work...also the Aetolians are evil men who don't even wait for war to violate the canons of morality and humanity."

When and why did you read Polybius? I don't know anyone else familiar with him.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.