[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was my first McCarthy. Enjoyed it a lot and want to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: no country.jpg (19 KB, 419x647) Image search: [Google]
no country.jpg
19 KB, 419x647
This was my first McCarthy. Enjoyed it a lot and want to get into some of his other, less accessible stuff. Where do I go next with McCarthy?
>>
hate to break it to you, but mccarthy is pretty accessible

you try-hard
>>
Blood Meridian
Suttree
Child of God
Border Trilogy

Ordered from best to worst imo. Read in any order you want.
>>
>>7650218

Blood Meridian is incredible.
>>
It's a meme, but Blood Meridian is head and shoulders above No Country. It's pretty accessible too
>>
Blood Meridian is 90% thesaurus words for "barren wasteland", and 10% Judge Holden. Worth it for the Holden.
>>
>>7650230
I never said McCarthy was inaccessible. No Country For Old Men just reads like a screenplay.

pls no bully
>>
>>7650218

No Country for Old Men is by faaaaaar the worst thing he's ever written. garbage.

Suttree is his masterpiece, Blood Meridian is p decent
>>
>>7650255
it's aight, I was just contending "inaccessible" as a selling point for a work
>>
>>7650277
That's a fair point. I didn't intend for "less accessible" to mean "better", I just wanted to get somewhat deeper into his work
>>
>>7650218

To be honest, none of McCarthy's stuff is too inaccessible. His absolute must-reads are Blood Meridian and Suttree. Outer Dark, Child of God, and the Border trilogy are all worth reading too.

The Road is practically pop lit at this point, but it is still really good.
>>
>>7650293
just read and be happy ;)
>>
He's only got like ten books, and they're all written at like a seventh grade reading level. Shouldn't take you more than a week.
>>
>>7650242
>>7650236
>>7650304
>harold bloom had 3 false starts when reading Blood Meridian as one of the most respected literary critics in America
>mfw I read it in like a week when I was sixteen
am I destined for literary greatness, /lit/?
>>
>>7650469
Nah
>>
Not a huge fan of No Country, I thought it was his worst book, too.
>>
>>7650469
No. It's not even remotely hard to read. IIRC he just said he was put off by all the scalping.
>>
>>7650218
straight to blood meridian but you can read the road before that, just to get the weakest of his novels out of the way. it takes several hours anyway.
>>
>>7650250
Are you saying that extensive research into landscape features for the sole purpose of showcasing the irreverent nature is bad?

Did you also hate how Gene Wolfe inserted tons of Greco-Roman coinisms into Book of the New Sun?
>>
>>7650469
No, BM is one of the easiest things I've read in a long time. The allegory is really really obvious too; and, under normal circumstances, I'm terrible at picking up on that shit.
>>
>>7652108
What allegory?
>>
>>7652144
In a few words, the totality and inescapability of war, which the Judge represents: throughout the novel he catalogs things and destroys them, which shows war's all-encompassing scope, and that it leaves nothing behind; he finds The Kid after decades, which shows war's unavoidable nature; and, to reach a bit, he is described as a great pale figure, which shows that, like the pale horse, he is death's vehicle.
>>
>>7652162

did he fuck him in the shitter or rip his head off?
>>
>>7652278
I thought it was rape, but I'm also pretty lewd.
The symbolism doesn't really change either way.
>>
File: 1453835076417.webm (3 MB, 820x461) Image search: [Google]
1453835076417.webm
3 MB, 820x461
>Reading Suttree intro while shitting
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.