[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Shakespeare's best play, /lit/? Justify your answer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: the bard.jpg (295 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
the bard.jpg
295 KB, 1200x1200
What is Shakespeare's best play, /lit/? Justify your answer.
>>
hamlet, because i'm not retarded
>>
>>7641982
Hamlet
/thread
>>
>>7641982

my personal favorite is a midsummer night's dream. i just love the magical atmosphere that is created. whenever i read it, i get very vivid images of a magical, enchanted forests, fairy sprites, and the like. it almost seems to put me under a spell. what's amazing is that there's no real physical description of the environment and i still find it more enchanting than almost any other fantasy I've read.
>>
Tie between Timon of Athens and Troilus and Cressida.
>>
>>7642003
>i'm gonna make le funny xD ebin trollpost
>>
>>7641982
My diary, t.b.h.
>>
The Taming of the Shrew because it's the most redpilled
>>
>>7641982

Julius Caesar.

What really makes the play is Brutus' struggle between his love for Caesar and his love for Rome, and the opposing personality of Cassius. Brutus and Cassius are just a really great pairing.

Also there are instances of amazing imagery and poetry, which is cool given that the dialogue in the play tends to be more down to earth than most of shakespeare's plays. One of my favorite passages:

I could be well moved if I were as you.
If I could pray to move, prayers would move me.
But I am constant as the northern star,
Of whose true-fixed and resting quality
There is no fellow in the firmament.
The skies are painted with unnumbered sparks.
They are all fire and every one doth shine,
But there’s but one in all doth hold his place.
So in the world.
>>
Hamlet
>>
MacBeth. Because it's the most horrific, and it only proves that you should never listen to women.
>>
>>7642026
This because /lit/ typically says so.
>>
Othello, to make something so dramatic for something so pure is extremely difficult. As it is written no one is fit to play the three main roles perfectly. The dual Iago just makes it have so much more meaning.
>>
>>7641982
Definitely not the best one, in fact, one of his worst, but my favorite is Titus Andronicus. I don't know, but, the scene where he bakes Chiron and Demetrius in pie has always stuck with me.
>>
>>7641982
Hamlet because is one of the longer ones and yet there isn't anthing extra (like a shoehorned scene to make sure sn actor had time to change and drink a little) to it nor missing. It touches upon the hypocrisy of the world with an existential dialectic, it has a drama in its drama that mocks how everything is just pretending, it has death, madness and logic that is taken by crazyness...

Also the Tempest because is his last one and he knew it.

"Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
And what strength I have’s mine own,
Which is most faint. Now, ’tis true,
I must be here confined by you,
Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And pardoned the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell,
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands.
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardoned be,
Let your indulgence set me free."
>>
File: lear.png (199 KB, 555x290) Image search: [Google]
lear.png
199 KB, 555x290
Dat storm scene tho
>>
King Lear's pretty insane.
>>
>>7641982
Othello, because Iago is my favorite villain.
>>
Hamlet
Richard III
>>
Hamlet, Lear or Macbeth.
>>
>>7641982
The Scottish one, the Tempest, Othello and Hamlet. All of them have been said already but they are all legitimately good
>>
>>7641982
I've only seen Hamlet, he is an Uberman.
>>
>>7642020
That is a pretty nice passage.
>>7642150
From the 4-5 plays I've read, I liked the Tempest best.
>>
>>7641982
Julius Caesar.
>>
>>7641982
Hamlet=best
The Temest=Favourite
>>
if i had to choose one of his amazing works i would have to pick hamlet, simply for its wit and really deep discussion's about life death madness and god.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.