[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about Lord Byron?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Lord_Byron_in_Albanian_dress.jpg (161 KB, 666x800) Image search: [Google]
Lord_Byron_in_Albanian_dress.jpg
161 KB, 666x800
What do you think about Lord Byron?
>>
>>7641929
gay as fuck, prob good for that reason too
>>
>>7641929
I like him a lot. I prefer Wordsworth or Coleridge sometimes, but Byron knew how to convey feelings and sensations through rhythm and sounds.

I liked Manfred, but I prefer Don Juan, it's such a good poem. Some of his less known poems are also amazing. I recommend "The Bride of Abydos". Dem opening lines, m8.

Know ye the land where cypress and myrtle
Are emblems of deeds that are done in their clime,
Where the rage of the vulture, the love of the turtle,
Now melt into sorrow, now madden to crime?

>>7641965
Nigga, Byron fucked more bitches than you could ever hope to.
>>
I like him so much for his creation of Lucipher and biblical dramas.
>>
>>7641972
>Byron knew how to convey feelings and sensations through rhythm and sounds.

this is one of the most ambiguous sentences I have ever read

"Picasso know how to convey feelings and sensations through colors and shapes"
>>
a lot of garbage, one masterpiece (don juan). his reputation as an author is bolstered by his life story.
>>
>>7641972
I unfortunetlly live in Poland and it's so hard to get good translations of his works...
Manfred, Cain, Heaven and Earth checked.
Cain is my number one at this moment.
I'm going to library tomorrow and I hope I will get Don Juan.
>>
>>7641987
Are you making a refutation?
>>
>>7641972
>t Byron knew how to convey feelings and sensations through rhythm and sounds.
So did Coleridge. Haven't you read an obscure little poem by the name of Kublai Khan?
Most pre-modernist poets had this talent, in fact. Pope had it, so did most of the romatnics, Emerson and Whitman had it, Tennyson certainly had it, Housman and Swinburne had it. Hell, even Robert Frost exhibits it from time to time.
>>
>>7642007
Byron is well known as the easiest poet to translate so any translation will do. It is said that is the reason the Russians loved him
>>
>>7641929
what's he wearing?
>>
>>7642028
Oh, so I will take all of his works.
>>
>>7642032
oriental hipster
>>
>>7642008

no, I'm saying that you said nothing of substance
>>
>>7641996
Ya this. He isn't actually remembered because he's a great writer. He's remember for the same reason Tao Lin will probably be remembered (and likely the same reason Tao will go down in history as good writer): he was a celebrity who publicized his stuff really well. He was a meme who got famous for giving dumb prissy English aristocratic girls wet panties.

Guess what guis: art history isn't some objective thing. Some of these guys are just hacks who knew the right people, and after a few generations of people like /lit/izens liking things because they were told it was good rather than actually liking it, culture starts to confuse the two.
>>
>>7642234
tao fucking lin won't be remembered

tao "fucked mira's slimy pussy" lin has no talent whatsoever

I don't think you fully appreciate how difficult and rare it is to write a masterpiece (if you are indeed agreeing with the post you responded to). Eliot wrote one masterpiece, Whitman wrote a few, Stevens has one or two. Implying that Byron was a "hack" is downright ignorant.
>>
>>7642007
If you can browse and post here you can read it in English and search the meaning of words you don't know.
>>
>>7642364
>tao "fucked mira's slimy pussy" lin has no talent whatsoever
I don't think you know how cultural history is actually made. There's definitely a stronger filter for quality than most communities but ffs for the most part, what gets popular among art people is as objective as what gets popular anywhere else. Don't underestimate how much communities trim and coaxed their populations, in some ways arbitrarily and in some ways deliberately, until they narrow down who gets remembered.
>>
>>7642403
Also Tao probably will be remembered. That's how this works desu. He knows the right people and he managed to gain enough momentum that enough people know him now that he'll be remembered in the next generation as a contributor to our generations literature, and a few generations down the line, people will stop remembering that he was crap.

Ffs dude you seem to unironically believe in quality. There is no "good" anymore than there's a think such as "truth". There's texts that cohere with a body of literature, a society's ideology, a certain portion of its population's inner lives, etc. But "good", much less "masterpiece", is a figment perpetuated by school marms.

And that's exactly why a guy like Tao can end up being thought of as "good" - once his work is read enough that it's integrated in the set of texts that form a reference point for literature, he'll automatically be "good" because that's what "good" is, if it can be anything at all.
>>
>>7642423
You're retarded

Tao is a non entity but you get all your "knowledge" from /lit/ so he seems like a Big Deal to you.

Stay pleb
>>
>>7642433
>Tao is a non entity but you get all your "knowledge" from /lit/ so he seems like a Big Deal to you.
I don't. In fact I barely go on here.

Also I'm probably much better educated than you. I don't know you, but given what I know about myself and what I know about you from this thread, I'd bet a lot of money I'm substantially better educated than you.

I'm right. You're not.
>>
>>7642423
>There is no "good" anymore than there's a think such as "truth"
The former claim is debatable while the latter is obviously false.
>>
>>7642423
>There is no "good" anymore than there's a think such as "truth"
keep telling yourself that you'll make it one day because no one will be able to discern how bad you are
>"masterpiece", is a figment perpetuated by school marms
This is unsurprising coming from a guy defending tao lin
>once his work is read enough that it's integrated in the set of texts that form a reference point for literature, he'll automatically be "good" because that's what "good" is
Nothing is automatic, all the beats are trash (except maybe Kerouac), fewer people read Lowell, no one reads Musil, no one remembers Roethke or Koestler.
>Also I'm probably much better educated than you
and my dad works for nintendo

Just because you lack standards doesn't mean the rest of us do
>>
>>7642444
wew lad

post degree or gtfo
>>
>>7642444

I've had MFAs and Masters in English Literature argue with me about the value of Harry Potter. I do not care how long you've been educated if you have the reading level of a high schooler.
>>
>>7642491
yeah but desu mfa is a meme degree and masters in English is just an opportunity for people to continue reading sjw "theory" into every text since slavery

in fact i would like to do an mfa program but probably wont just because of the negative stigma
>>
>>7642455
>>7642463
>>7642473
>>7642491
If any of you were smart you would have pointed out the irony of someone who claimed there was no such thing as truth also claiming to be unambiguously right about something.
>>
>>7642504
ironic.... or unintentional....
it's hard to catch these things when someone is being so fully and genuinely spastic
>>
My great-grandma used to be able to recite "She Walks in Beauty" because her romantic h.s. boyfriend (who died of an OD like in the 1940s) used to recite it to her.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.