[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to start reading this. Any advice? I've heard it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: karamazov.jpg (10 KB, 184x275) Image search: [Google]
karamazov.jpg
10 KB, 184x275
About to start reading this. Any advice? I've heard it's a tough read. How long would it take on average to get through it?
>>
I only read the Constance Gardner translation, but it was great. It does suffer from issues that most 19th century writing does, but if you can get past that, it was phenomenal.
>>
File: 2ec.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>7640735
you should be hooked by the family meeting at the monastery

>mfw literally every scene with Dmitri
>>
>>7640735
> I've heard it's a tough read.
It's not.It can be a bore if you're not used to old school type of writing and Dosty does tend to ramble a lot but that's all.It's not hard to grasp stylistically or conceptually.
>>
>>7640744
>It does suffer from issues that most 19th century writing does
which are?
>>
The first few chapters were kind of hard to read. Many characters are introduced and their relationships with other charctes. After you know all of them it becomes a much easier read and it gets more interesting.

>>7640754
This. After the meeting at the monastery, I was all in
>>
The plot is a messy but it's not much of a tough read. The writing is kind of prolix though and there's a lot of info dumping
>>
>>7640766
elaborate dialog that doesn't feel natural at all.
extraneous details, etc.

Some novels have it worse than others, but this novel is incredibly readable.
>>
>>7640735
the only really difficult part to read is the Grand Inquisitor, for me atleast.
>>
>>7641001
Yeah same here, I had to Google it to make sure I got everything from it. Another bit that really annoyed me was Ivan and Miusov debating in the monastery about the church and the state, I like most of the debates with the characters but that one dragged on for far too long
>>
Make this your last Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>7641550
That one was pretty crucial, because it is, especially throwing in Zosima's opinions, the backdrop against which the Grand Inquisitor plays upon.

>>7641608
It doesn't matter what order you read him in.
>>
>>7641550
I also just started reading it, at around page 75, and I am absolutely loving that part.
>>
I'm at the part where dmitri is drunk and rambling with yoshi. Yawn.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.