[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best resources for learning about Celtic mythology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: young_cu_chulainn_by_mayyeo.jpg (441 KB, 813x1195) Image search: [Google]
young_cu_chulainn_by_mayyeo.jpg
441 KB, 813x1195
What are the best resources for learning about Celtic mythology? I just realized I know almost nothing about it compared to Greek, Roman, Christian or Near-Eastern lore, which is embarrassing as I am of Celtic descent.
>>
>>7639360
The Mabinogion might be a good place to start.
>>
>>7639878
that's welsh
>>
Ulster Cycle and the Book of Invasions
>>
File: slowpoke.png (12 KB, 312x295) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke.png
12 KB, 312x295
>>7639884
It's almost like Welsh people are Celtic
>>
The Mabinogion, The Ulster Cycle, The Fenian cycle, The Historical cycle, the echtrae, the immrama and probably a load of secondary sources. You could start with the Oxford Very Short Introductions to the Druids and to the Celts; they'll point you to other reliable secondary sources.

The various old books concerning King Arthur are probably helpful too.
>>
>>7639884
Protip: Welsh, Cornish, Manx, Bretons, Irish, and Scots are all Celtic and very similar with their mythos.

>>7639894
>The various old books concerning King Arthur are probably helpful too.
Yea, but they're a bit after the fact.
>>
>>7639918
>Yea, but they're a bit after the fact.
Absolutely, which is why I made it an addendum, but they're often reinterpretations of older Celtic myths. There might be a few mentions in Roman writings about the Celts too but nothing substantial.
>>
>>7639932
>but they're often reinterpretations of older Celtic myths.
Ah yes, good point.
>There might be a few mentions in Roman writings about the Celts too but nothing substantial.
Yea, pretty much only Caesar's propaganda (possibly from a failed or bribed Bard or Ovate), and Tacitus' better, but still lacking writings.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.