[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modernist Novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: running-along-the-beach-1908.jpg (161 KB, 1419x751) Image search: [Google]
running-along-the-beach-1908.jpg
161 KB, 1419x751
Please recommend me american modernist novels. (at least the modernist era, not necessarily stylistically modernist)

My List:
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Nightwood
Manhattan Transfer
Passing

I have a random urge to write stories in an idealized noir sort of urban 1920s. I need information to input.
>>
>>7636460
These ones are from the 30s. Doubt they'd be considered modernist in style, but the settings fit with what you're after.

Appointment in Samarra - John O'Hara
Ask the Dust - John Fante
Turn, Magic Wheel - Dawn Powell
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
Fast One - Paul Cain
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
>>
>>7636460
One character will be a german immigrant who excelled in math in his gymnasium and left germany during wwI and when to america. He translates books for a living and works as a janitor in a newspaper. Named Conrad. Skinny guy
>>
>>7636539
thanks
>>
File: Gustave_Moreau_-_Les_voix.jpg (3 MB, 1850x3562) Image search: [Google]
Gustave_Moreau_-_Les_voix.jpg
3 MB, 1850x3562
>>7636460
any more recommendations?
>>
>>7636460
Although it came out in the 90s, The Tunnel is, according to its writer, William Gass, Decayed Modern, not postmodern.
>>
Why is the boy naked when the girls aren't? That's sexist.
>>
>>7636460
one last
>>
>>7636460
Check out Nathanael West
>>
Does anyone read Gore Vidal
>>
>>7640561
Technically post modernist but I think he's way under rated, on /lit/ at least. Especially the gay population of /lit/, the city and the pillars a great read and a huge achievement I think for its time. I'm sure most of you know I've just never seen it mentioned.
>>
>>7636460
Though some consider it postmodern, The Tunnel, according to its writer, William Gass--the greatest writer still walking the Earth--is actually a decayed sort of modern, so I recommend, if you wish, you look into it; and I am capable of posting a link to it, if you'd like.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.