[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>and then he said he read a prose translation of the Illiad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1322395628136.jpg (25 KB, 358x361) Image search: [Google]
1322395628136.jpg
25 KB, 358x361
>and then he said he read a prose translation of the Illiad
>>
File: grimes tub of mayo.jpg (79 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
grimes tub of mayo.jpg
79 KB, 500x332
>mfw someone's first exposure to the Iliad isn't a recitation in the original language
>>
>>7632193
>she misspells iliad
>she didn't read it off the manuscript
>>
File: πμο.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
πμο.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
>hse doesn't have at least one member of the Homer collective as an astral penpal
>>
>>7632200

I wish we could actually do this.
>>
You have to read it in dactylic hexameter, I don't even really care what translation as long it's in dactylic hexameter. That's the only way to read it
>>
>>7632250
the only way to read it is to translate/scan the latin yourself you silly imbeciles
>>
>>7632894
>latin
>>
File: 220.gif (86 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
220.gif
86 KB, 480x270
>>7632250
plebery
>>7632193
if you're going to read it in translation, prose is ideal - the meter's never going to have the same effect as it does in the original and it allows the translator to pick the most accurate... nevermind, this is clearly bait.
>>
>>7632894
>latin
>>
Isn't the meme to be fake-elitist about things like >>7632200

What you posted in the OP ... I sure do hope people don't read fucking prose translations of The Iliad. I don't think it's so unreasonable either.
>>
>they don't subvocalize
Stick to goosebumps
>>
From another thread:

>>7632320
>>7632331
>>7632422

Prose isn't really that bad. Honestly, the iliad is something to read multiple times, so try new translations, poetry or prose.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.