[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Politically Incorrect Travelogues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: aldous+huxley.jpg (20 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
aldous+huxley.jpg
20 KB, 250x333
I just finished Aldous Huxley's short travelogue In a Tunisian Oasis.

>It is a curious and characteristic fact that, whenever in Tunisia one sees a particularly oriental piece of architecture, it is sure to have been built by the French, since 1881. The cathedral of Carthage, the law courts and schools of Tunis — these are more Moorish than the Alhambra, Moorish as only oriental tearooms in Paris or London can be Moorish. In thirty years the French have produced buildings more typically and intensely Arabian than the Arabs themselves contrived to do in the course of thirteen centuries."

I find this haughty 19th/early 20th century imperial attitude to make for quite an interesting read, because while often exaggerated and fanciful, these novelists' observations were politically correct truisms based on their own worldly experience which many people today do not have. It's very informative into the worldview of this era, especially in that of the Anglo (or French) world.

Another example of this would be Evelyn Waugh's Black Mischief, which is fictional but is based on his travels to Ethiopia. He described what he observed as dysfunctional black nature (not owing to Western meddling in affairs).

Lovecraft also had some interesting travelogues. Does /lit/ have any other suggestions on famous novelists' travelogues? Extra points if non-Anglo.
>>
>>7631065
I haven't read it OP, so I can't recommend it truly, but I know there is a Mayakovsky travelouge regarding America.
>>
>>7631065
Why don't you come out and say you want racist travelogues? That's essentially what you're requesting.
Yeah I bet Lovecraft had some interesting ones top kek
>>
>>7631088
Not quite what I meant. As adversed to European authors disparaging other races in the vain of, "The inferior swarthy races," I meant honest, in depth observations based on their travels.

For example Huxley was both charitable and critical of the nations he visited. And he was pretty self-aware for that time of Britain's faults.
>>
>>7631088
>muh racism
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.