[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to write a book of my own- so I figured I would need to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1448285270397.jpg (57 KB, 720x735) Image search: [Google]
1448285270397.jpg
57 KB, 720x735
I need to write a book of my own- so I figured I would need to read a few books first

What books would you recommend? I aim to only read good ones, and preferably ones that aren't simply informative

I don't count anything I've read as a child, so I would consider that the only book I've read was an amalgamation that included an analysis and the translated Art of War by Sunzi (had it in my room)

Currently reading the first Dragonlance book since its the only other one I own
>>
>>7630660
Start with the greeks and go chronologically from there.
>>
>>7630695
Correction. Don't start with the greeks. Start with Harry Potter and work your way up, champ.
:^)
>>
I'm going to slightly hijack this thread, but it seems like an issue which might be relevant to OP (or maybe not, he could be proud and self assured)

I'm sort of working on my own book in my own lazy, self destructive, flailing way. I've shared parts with anonymous people on the internet who had no reason to lie, and I've gotten almost entirely good feedback. So my question is how do I allow myself to respect my own writing? Should I even try to do that? On some level I do, but I also feel like a pretentious piece of shit for those reasons. It's not as if I can declare myself a good writer. That's the end of my ramblings.
>>
File: 1447443596397.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1447443596397.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>7630721
Read those before, I said I don't count things ive read when I was younger

Obviously your elitism gives you a chance to jack off your ego for once in the only place in the world where you think you're relevant in the slightest so I wonder why did I even ask for specification when I already knew the answer
>>
>>7630722

post an excerpt
>>
>>7630722
There's a difference between respecting your writing and being a pretentious mother fucker. There's a lot of middle ground there.
>>
>>7630660
>I need to write a book of my own

First you have to know WHY would you want a book of your own.

If it is just for selfjerking you should clear your mind, change your name, and start a new life.

Shitbooks are being published everyday, OP, we don't need more.
>>
File: pullapööpöö.webm (956 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pullapööpöö.webm
956 KB, 500x500
>>7630960
Been spending too much time creating an in depth universe and characters/artwork for a game that may never happen so I figured the first step would be something I can apply them to while doing it alone

>Inb4 ur characters and story are probably SHIT

No way for you to know so its fairly irrelevant to the topic because I definitely wont start to jack off over them at this point since they are still unfinished
>>
>>7630997

Hold your horses, I'm not trying to shit you away.

However, if you are trying to make a book because you couldn't make a videogame... Well I don't think it is a great idea.

Why not making a proyect plan for your videogame? see what you need to make it happen?
Literature is more than worldbuilding and narrative. It is not a second plate thing you can take.

I'm sure you would enjoy more working on a videogame proyect than on a book.
>>
File: mig 2.jpg (741 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
mig 2.jpg
741 KB, 2048x1536
>>7631022
Designed a game first, then the characters, then the world around them, then the narrative around it and its proving to be too strong and intricate to necessarily waste on a game that would sacrifice most of that for gameplay considerations

A book is the only logical option, which I don't loathe at all because I dont have budget constraints or anyone breathing down my neck nor do I have to follow any predefined rules while writing a book
>>
It depends what kind of book you plan on writing. Look up books of a similar genre to the one you plan on writing, and then delve into that genre by looking at a variety of books from different times written by famous & obscure authors. If, however, you're only looking at this point for inspiration on what you want to write about, I'd recommend doing these two things: start with the classics (Hemingway, Shakespeare, Tolstoy etc.) and at the same time experience different lifestyles, meet a lot of different people. Do that and who knows, you may be the next Roal Dahl or whoever you aspire to be. Good luck!
>>
>>7630660
Oh man you have a long road ahead of you
I would recommend reading the sticky
read Stoner
>>
>>7631040
Considering you haven't read much I really don't think you have the ability to discern what is shit and what isn't.
You probably have a really shitty idea and once you start reading you'll realize just how bad it is.
>>
>>7630722

Post an excerpt faggot I bet you're a great writer
>>
one of the reasons i got rid of my tv is i couln't stand the ads for crappy fast food like pizza, now the junk food ads are ruining 4chan too, reddit may be filled with uptight assholes you won't call you a fucking faggot it if you don't like stirner or something, but at least u don't have to see ads of pizza every 5 minutes
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.