[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are a successful well-known writer. Would you prefer to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 299x169) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 299x169
You are a successful well-known writer.

Would you prefer to be as wealthy as pic related (worth $600 million dollars), or as discussed as James Joyce by /lit/?
>>
>>7629918
neither, I'd rather just be known to a few people, enjoyed by em, and give my books away in e-form for free.
>>
>>7629923

Mate, if people can enjoy your books, you would either be rich or a literary icon.
>>
>>7629925
not if i release it anonymously.
>>
>>7629929

post it here :)
>>
>>7629932
i have, no one liked em.
>>
>>7629934

That's cos I haven't read it yet :)

;)
>>
>>7629940
well, i haven't written a book, but i do have a short story if you're that desperate.

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?82106-The-Ant&highlight=

i guess this is still anonymous.
>>
this is usually the reaction. heh
>>
>>7629918
Rich. I don't give a fuck about /lit/.
>>
>>7629918
Get wealthy and after you're filthy rich, write your Ulysses.
>>
>>7629918
filthy rich or posterity

posterity
>>
>>7629918
I value literature, but I also like SCUBA diving, motorsport and sending my kids to elite schools, so my honest answer would have to be filthy rich.
>>
>>7629918
I bet coehlo scores mad milf pussy with his new-age platitudes. That beats being the object of a circlejerk of autists and NEETs in a chinese cartoon board who most likely didn't even read my book anyways.
>>
I'd rather be rich.

My reason is this: I'd rather that many common people read my books, than that a community of academics should make their careers out of misreading my work.

And there are many things, selfish or charitable, which I can do with money.
>>
>>7629942
(not previous anon)
I enjoyed it alot.
>>
File: are you jesting me.png (114 KB, 347x344) Image search: [Google]
are you jesting me.png
114 KB, 347x344
Both.
>>
>be rich
or
>be memed the fuck out on /lit/
what do you think
>>
>>7630596
hey, thank you. i'm glad!
>>
You don't mean discussed JUST by /lit/, right?

Because if I have to choose between being rich and just being meme'd incessantly on a shitty image board, I'll obviously choose being rich.

However, if you mean "discussed and remembered everywhere, /lit/ included," then the choice gets harder. I confess I'd still like some financial security, and being rich is always fun. However, I do crave literary immortality. I want to write stuff that gets into the canon. I'd love to be remembered as one of the great writers of the 21st Century, of the entire Postmodern/Ultramodern/Neomedieval/Whatever-We're-In-Right-Now period.
>>
>>7630476
Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>7629918
He's not worth anywhere near 600 million.
>>
>being Paolo Coelho

Nothx
>>
That's tough. Money is literally worth nothing without respect, and with that sculpted facial hair I'd have to assume Coehlo has very little. At the same time, I wonder how much respect Joyce commanded in his lifetime, being a raging alcoholic and having almost no money his entire life. I also don't consider him the epitome of the modern English language, so I wouldn't choose that route, either.
>>
>>7631272
>I also don't consider him the epitome of the modern English language

Why not?
>>
Is cohelo really that rich?
>>
>>7629918
I'd rather be rich.
>>
>>7629942
>online-literature.com
Would you rec it?
>>
>>7631380
it has its moments, i just used it to post some stories, and have a place to keep them.
>>
>>7629918

depends. am i wealthy writing the stuff i want to write or am i wealthy writing the stuff that sells?

because if it's just a question of wealth vs academic merit, i'd pick wealth. fuck the lit crits
>>
I don't need validation. Give me cash.
>>
I'd like to be the James Joyce in that situation. I'm not in it for the money. To me, the truth wealth is to be remembered.
>>
Coelho's actually a very inspirational and good writer. People here would greatly benefit from listening to him.
>>
>>7629918
I'd rather be properly appreciated by a small group of devoted fans like Gass: having thousands misinterpret my work is one of my greatest fears.
>>
Anyone else think there's absolutely no need for $600mil? Don't get me wrong, I would gladly and easily spend 5, 10, even 100 million if I went nuts. I just have no idea what I would do with 600 mil.
>>
>>7632283
Don't you have to go pick up your kids from soccer practice?
>>
>>7632638
boom roasted lol
>>
>>7632599
Buy an island and create your own polis.
>>
>>7629942
I really liked this. It's rare that I say I wish a work were longer...for good reasons, of course.
>>
>>7632701
That makes me very happy. I'll have to set out to write more. It's been a long time. For me, anyway.
>>
File: ALHessV.jpg (51 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
ALHessV.jpg
51 KB, 500x268
>Caring what people think of you
>MFW

The dosh obviously.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.