[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arthurian Romances
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: chretien_de_troyes.jpg (35 KB, 340x337) Image search: [Google]
chretien_de_troyes.jpg
35 KB, 340x337
I read a Chretien de Troyes anthology when I was younger and enjoyed it. By far it had the most realistic depiction of medieval fighting, aka people beating the shit out of each other, but swords can't cut through plate. They've got a spontaneity and authenticity you just don't see in the usual literature. This guy could teach the Romantics a thing or two, and probably did.

Have I simply lucked onto the best of the bunch, or are there more stellar volumes out there waiting to be read?
>>
I'm reading "Parzival" by Wolfram von Eschenbach, and really enjoying it so far.
>>
He's perhaps the most well-known, but other or older works in the cycle are great for different reasons. Gawain and the Green Knight, and this >>7629079

Then you also get the Carolingian cycle... the song of Roland as I remember it is pretty much one detailed battle.
>>
Malory's Morte d'Arthur
>>
>>7629901

Yeah I remember the song of Roland. Chanson de Gestes are cool. You know it's interesting, the battle depictions, X hero kills Y villain, and the description of the enemies in golden armor are eerily similar to later battles in Water Margin, and also shares similarities with the Illiad. To borrow a metaphor from physics, it's as if literature began with perfect symmetry and that symmetry has degraded over time.
>>
the buried giant
>>
>>7631523
>from physics
?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.