[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>not applying what you read irl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: images (4).jpg (8 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
8 KB, 221x228
>not applying what you read irl
>>
File: TranquilBuddha.jpg (25 KB, 277x400) Image search: [Google]
TranquilBuddha.jpg
25 KB, 277x400
>being affected by external things
>>
>>7628325

>Implying I can just find faith and solve all my Hamletian philosophical dilemmas in the span of 10 pages like Constantine Levin

It's not that easy.
>>
File: feels-good-man-trans.png (29 KB, 330x357) Image search: [Google]
feels-good-man-trans.png
29 KB, 330x357
>>7628325
>tfw read Marcus Aurelius and can now see beauty in the crust of bread
>>
>>7628334
tell me more anon, i've been planning to read meditations but only after reading aristotle, now i have to say i took a break from that because it was getting too dry for me and i'm reading various things at the moment.
>>
>>7628341
You took a break from Aristotle or MA ? Because I think MA is very agreeable to read. I was referencing Meditations 3-2, but the whole book is very interesting and I consider it one of the bests (if not the best) introductions to philosophy, as it is both easy and rich. The prose is agreeable and inspiring, and MA himself is someone to look up to.
>>
>>7628347
I was referring to Aristotle obviously.
I guess i got to a point where i'm tired of reading about "what morality is" and "what it means to be virtuous" rather i'd prefer reading about advices on life and practical things.
>>
>>7628334

You realize Marcus Aurelius was a poppy-fiend? It's practically impossible to not be stoic when you're loaded on premium grade organic opium.
>>
>>7628354
Are you reading Nicomacean ethics ? Because I understand that it is a very tedious read, but it is also full of practical advices (that are well dissimulated behind very disagreeable but clear and methodic writing) such as having friends, or being in a constant middle ground ...

>“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

MA

If you wish for a book that shakes the dirt, this is it
>>
>>7628370
What a nice quote by MA, you're right i'm reading the ethics right now, and besides what you said the other thing i got out of it is that the best life to live or to achieve eudaimonia is to live a contemplative life, virtue being secondary.
>>
>>7628355
He also sucked dick, but I am not one to judge
>>
>>7628401
>to live a contemplative life
There really is nothing else to do in existence
>>
>>7628370
>>7628347
What is MA?
>>
>>7628658
Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>7628659
Oh, got to middle of meditations and my life turned to shit and got upside down for a while. I guess as I am in vacations it's time to re-read it and finish it. After Camus and someshit.
>>
>>7628665
It's worth it. Book I in particular helps when you're shaken by events of life, or are in need of inspiration.
>>
>>7628684
Yep it helped me a lot, altough I picked it just for curiosity and ended up getting "lucky". I just kinda forgot about it and as it's in my tablet and I don't use it often I never had it on my floor reminding me to read it. (I throw work papers and books in the floor so I remember them)
>>
>>7628697
Ha, I do that doo
>>
File: download (9).jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
8 KB, 225x225
Bootstraped my through a divorce with just Epictetus

Memekids ain't got nothing on me
>>
>>7628606
Not him but how do you live a contemplative life?
>>
>>7629418

Asking others won't bring you the answer you seek. Instead, just think about it.
>>
>>7629432
That's fine, but maybe i don't get it because english isn't my first language, what is contemplation?
>>
>>7629884

To make a study or observation of a subject, often relating to oneself. The Latin root of the word (con + templus) suggests doing so in a quiet, spiritual place.
>>
/lit/ I want to be a stoic and live a good life, I am trying, but I feel I am getting pushed around quite hardly, it feels like most of the good I do to other people is never returned thus making me unhappy. I need help.
>>
>>7630221
>stoic
>doing something for the result

Ayy lmao
>>
>>7628355

Well it seems we both know what must be done then.
>>
>>7630221
A good starting point is to never expect to receive anything in return from people, in fact expect the worst thing , that's the core of stoicism
>>
>>7628347

what translation/edition did you read?
>>
>>7628332
>buddhaposting

nuice
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 500x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 500x195
>>7628332
>being
>>
>>7631777
lucky trips
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.