[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Walka_o_sztandar_turecki[1].jpg (93 KB, 800x462) Image search: [Google]
Walka_o_sztandar_turecki[1].jpg
93 KB, 800x462
I know there's a sticky, but I feel like it's not exactly extensive or offers enough for certain subjects.

So I thought we might just post what type of book we want to read and helpful anons will post books they think fit our needs.

I'd like to know more about the Ottoman Turks, does anyone know a good book about them?
Preferably written in a way that's appealing to people who aren't history majors too.
>>
I'd like one french book that's both a classic and not so hard to read.
My idea is to read this alongside its translation and, hopefully, learn a little bit of the language.

PS: I've read The Little Prince already, but the book I want now doesn't necessarily have to be that easy.

>>7627829
Sorry fami/lit/, I don't know any.
>>
Any recommendations for all things of, or about, Caodaism.
>>
>>7627829
I've heard good things about "Osman's Dream"

>>7628324
Blagov, Sergei (2012). Caodaism: Vietnamese Traditionalism and Its Leap Into Modernity. Nova Science Publishers. ISBN 1590331508
>>
>>7628376

Thank you, I'll track it down.

>>7627829

The antidote, for me, to dry as salt history is to go to the primary sources. This is why I love Thucydides, he was at least close enough to the happenings he describes to capture the drama and sweep of events.

I was going to suggest Michael Psellos, but I'm noticed at the last second I'm confusing Byzantine and Ottoman history.

George Sphrantzes' "Chronicle" could be good, if you are willing to skip a bit to get to the barbarians swarming over the gates and the aftermath parts. Biased a hell, but that's part and parcel of primary source reading, and why it's so much more fun than picked apart summaries.
>>
>>7628310
Le Rouge et le Noir and Madame Bovary. Check those.
>>
Good practical books about meditation?
I just read Waking Up by Sam Harris (inb4 New Atheism shitposting) and it was a fantastic read, but I'd like to venture deeper into meditation and eastern spirituality without the metaphysical magical nonsense.
>>
>>7627829
Osman's Dream is too fucking long and I personally didn't like it but maybe it's just me.

I'd go with
>Halil Inalcik, The Ottoman Empire: The Classical Age
>Colin Imber, The Ottoman Empire 1300-1650, The Structure of Power
and then jump right to
>M. Sukru Hanioglu, A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire
which is not light like it might sound.

But Dream might be better for a non-history person.

>>7628310
L'Etranger is very commonly used for your level.
>>
>>7628468
>>7628548
Thank you both for the recommendations.
>>
>>7628548
L'Etranger looks really interesting. Thanks again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stranger_(novel)
>>
File: download.png (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6 KB, 225x225
>>7628530
>>
>>7628634
What?
>>
Can anyone recommend a book similar to something like Wilfred? I'm looking for something where the main protagonist is a little off.
>>
Good book on the Palestine/Israel conflict?
Preferably something that really only recalls what has happened and is happening, and not so much painting one side as the evil oppressor or vice versa.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.