[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What with all the hype? I'm about halfway through and it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
What with all the hype? I'm about halfway through and it just seems plain boring. Why should I give a fuck about the Kwisatz Haderach, or the Fremen or the spice? Seriously, it's so pointless and boring I don't think I can continue. What do you think of it /lit/?
>>
>why should I care about fictional situations?

You've got to immerse yourself m8.
>>
>>7625411
I know, the problem is that I can't be immersed in this book. Other fictional stories had me entranced. I'm just confused as to why Dune has the reputation it has.
>>
>>7625465
Well, in the sea of shit that is fantasy, Dune holds up pretty well. The writing is solid, the pacing is solid, even if it's a transparently-veiled political commentary.
>>
I opened it up to a random page and the writing was horrendous. Reminded me of why I don't read genre fiction.
>>
>>7625475
Some sci-fi lives up to the hype. This doesn't though; on some lists it has been named the #1 Science Fiction novel of all time.
>>
>>7625388
Try reading it allegorically. Try understanding it.
This is why plebs should stick to TV.
>>
>>7625471
>even if it's a transparently-veiled political commentary.
>he actually believes this
Let me guess spice is oil right right right?? It can't possibly be anything else ehe he he.
>>
>>7625493
Sounds like b8.
>>
>>7625388
We've had this same thread one or two days ago. Yes, Dune is pretentious garbage. Anyone who pretends it's anything more than that is the sci fi equivalent of ASOIAF fans who praise its originality.

>>7625493
Oh, look, it's the "it's a 2deep4u allegory" anon who doesn't even know what an allegory is.

>>7625471
>The writing is solid,
Haha no
>>
>>7625471
>The writing is solid, the pacing is solid
Are you on spice, m8?
>>
>>7625388
The first one I read was the machine war one and by The end I wished the machines would just slaughter all the fucking annoying humans. And that girl who goes the AI is rising better kill fucking toasters.

Also the reasons why humans were even winning battles were silly.
>>
>>7625388

I agree. I think I read to where they crash or something in the desert

Was totally boring and pointless
>>
>>7625388
I really enjoy the entire Dune series (I haven't read anything by the son though, just Frank). I'll admit, the first half of the book is a bit of a slog, but give the guy a chance, he is setting up multiple worlds and multiple organizations all with their own intrigues, individuals and motives.

Once you reach the middle of the second act it begins to grab you by the seat of your pants and the rest of the books up to Chapterhouse are exciting as well.

>>7625475
>Opened up to a random page
>Writing was shit

Well no shit. How the fuck could you expect to understand what was going on in a imaginary universe without starting from the beginning and understanding the terms?

>Genre fiction
Oh. You're one of those autists.
>>
>>7626684
>reading the cash-in post-Frank Herbert books
Holy shit, anon, I don't even think Dune is very good, but show a little bit of respect.
>>
>>7626774
By the writing, anon means the skill in putting words together. You can tell that from a paragraph. Sometimes that might be misleading, but in the case of Dune IIRC anon's correct- it's not written well at all. If you're used to reading good prose, reading bad prose is painful.
>>
>>7625388
You seem to be suffering from anhedonia.
>>
Dune threads are always so weirdly entertaining. The reasons people give for disliking it are comically plebeian...
>it's boring
>I can't empathise with anyone
>I hate sand
>Paul is OP pls nerf
...but they're actually right that it's not very good. Just for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>7625465
Pretty sure it only has that reputation within the sci-fi and fantasy genres, where standards of writing are generally much lower. If you're used to more skilled writers, sadly Dune is unlikely to rock you. Shame, because (like a lot of sci-fi) it has interesting ideas and it really does stand out in terms of the amount of thought and detail that went into building the setting (the Tolkien comparisons make a lot of sense).
>>
Wow, I often hear a lot of praise for Dune but this thread has turned me away from giving it a chance.

Why is it that people praise it so much?
>>
>>7626827
It looks like you haven't seen a lot of these threads. People in fact do point out the real problems. I personally wrote a lengthy post describing why I dislike Paul's LSD trips.
>>
you need to read up to and including god emperor to understand dune

it's not really that good as a standalone, the first book is basically setting and getting background set-up out of the way.

dont understand how people can -love- dune as a stand alone. like it's fine but it's not amazing, it's only the series as a whole that's something special.
>>
>>7627818
I kind of echo what this person is saying. Every book is crazier and more tangential from the one that came before it. Reading the first Dune book was kind of the same experience I had with Moby Dick––a good many parts were a slog and then a lot of things were really great and engaging and made up for the slog.
>>
>>7626323
>pretentious

Opinion discarded. "Pretentious" is the mating call of the pleb.
>>
>>7627811
I was speaking more about the OPs than the replies- these threads often seem to be started by people who haven't read much.

On the other hand, that might be harsh on this OP. Seems aware that if the book were better written it wouldn't be 'boring'.
>>
>>7627725
Already explained in this thread, really- the sci-fi genre has low standards for prose (as do teenagers, and I reckon a lot of people read Dune at a young age). Also it's full of genuinely cool and memorable stuff- it's just that the writing lets it down.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.