[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books about music? Not necessarily music theory,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
What are some good books about music? Not necessarily music theory, but about genres or musicians?
>>
>>7621739
None
>>
i have always considered music to be the most entry-level of the arts
>>
>>7621774

@GuyInYourMFA I didn't know you posted here
>>
File: armageddon rag.jpg (47 KB, 298x450) Image search: [Google]
armageddon rag.jpg
47 KB, 298x450
>>7621739

unless you wanted nonfiction specifically
>>
File: 1297985.jpg (41 KB, 303x450) Image search: [Google]
1297985.jpg
41 KB, 303x450
this is an interesting one
>>
File: bach-gardiner.jpg (98 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bach-gardiner.jpg
98 KB, 640x480
I like Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrIQbadXX74
>>
Why the fuck aren't you asking /mu/? Biographies aren't literature.
>>
John von Dorf frames pretty much everything he writes in music, and Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, Second Movement is a theme that crosses just about everything he writes.
>>
>>7621848
>>7621768
THIS, go read about Lou Reed somewhere else. Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave aren't writers either.
>>
>>7621739
Autobiograhy - Morrissey is a haunting, poetic dance around The Smiths and Morrissey's life that could be heralded as one of the greatest books of the modern era if it didn't fall completely on its ass in the last quarter.

I'd recommend it, though, obviously.
>>
>>7621739
Why not Godel Escher Bach?
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 220x330
a good read if you're interested on the genre
>>
>>7621739

Lords of Chaos by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Soderlind.

It's not as edgy as you'd think for a book that documents the rise of Black Metal in Norway. Give it a go, it's pretty good.
>>
>>7622770
Because Bach is boring an GEB doesn't really talk about music.

>>7621739
The rest is noise by Alex Ross is a great (and thick) introduction to 20thc classical music.
>>
>>7621739
Miles Davis' autobiography is pretty damn fascinating, even if you don't like jazz. He lived a fairly vivid yet troubling life (e.g. feeding a drug habit so monstrous that he pawned off his belongings and stole clothes from friends to pawn off too), while also detailing how he managed the recording of many of his albums, his live performances, his views on race, sex and religion. He was a fascinating person and a fairly wise one.

Also I'd recommend Charles Mingus' Beneath The Underdog. I didn't enjoy it as much as Miles' autobiography, and it's less about Mingus' music and performances and more about his life, his lifestyle, his hyper-sexual affairs and his mental instability, mostly from the perspective of his conscience. It's a surprisingly abstract memoir that may have you doubting how legitimate it is, but it's enjoyable.
>>
>>7621848
>>7621870
/mu/ doesn't read, anons. Plus, coffee table books aren't literature, but legitimately enlightening autobiographies from influential artists or political figures should be.
>>
>>7621739
Agape Agape by Gaddis is probably the best I know.
>>
>>7623907
kill yourself
>>
This.
>>
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Not about music in the sense that it deals with theory or musicians, but it illustrates how much music affected people's lives in the 90's very well. It's nothing special, just your everyday lad lit novel.
>>
I like Stephen Davis' Jim Morrison biography. Jim lived the literary lifestyle before he got famous.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.