[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about the graphic novel as a literary form?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: fun-home.jpg (29 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
fun-home.jpg
29 KB, 231x346
What do you think about the graphic novel as a literary form?

What value can be derived from graphic novels of all sorts, from the more overtly literary--Bechdel's FUN HOME, or Satrapi's PERSEPOLIS, or Spiegelman's MAUS--to the more covertly literary, more pulpy--Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, or Moore's WATCHMEN or V FOR VENDETTA?
>>
>>>/co/
>>
>>7621441
I feel like it's relevant here, too, no? If my question is about the graphic novel being a form of literature, sending me to /co/ kind of presupposes that it's not, doesn't it?
>>
>>7621448
I waa messing with you. But what would you qualify as a graphic novel?
>>
>>7621451
I'd probably say something along the lines of what Wikipedia already says, that a graphic novel is a longer work written in a comic format that is NOT an ongoing periodical, but either is from the start presented as one volume (like Fun Home or Persepolis) or is a short-form periodical that is intended to be collected in a single volume eventually (like Dark Knight Returns).
>>
>>7621467
I see, then anything with funny maymay pictures that isn't a story arc, like let's say God loves, Man Kills.

I'd say it's worth it, but the context is always essential to its comprehension.
>>
>>7621439
Unless you're here to discuss graphic novels with actual literary merit such as American Splendour you can gtfo back to >>>/co/ with your Mary Sue shit.
>>
>>7621490
Well that's all part of it too. I was talking about the form as a whole and what unique advantages/disadvantages it has in a literary sense.
>>
Perfectly good medium that is ruined by what its main man child audience wants to see.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.