[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on pic related? Im half-way through, so far I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Thoughts on pic related? Im half-way through, so far I think it's great. What did you guys think?
>>
It's really good although the professor got a little too mushy gushy and made me feel weird.
>>
>>7623092
>the professor got a little too mushy gushy and made me feel weird.
embrace your sexuality girls get them browny points suck that dick
>>
>>7621357

Its great, although everyone riding on Mina's dick as the 100% IDEAHL WOMAN can get a bit corny.
>>
>>7623121
Kek, I'm starting to see that now. The contrast to Lucy is interesting. 3 men fall in love with her, they literally gave her their blood, and in the end, she gave it all to the Count.
>>
>>7623092
>>7623116
I thought this was written before stoicism was a thing though? Like it was completely normal for men to cry and full convey all their emotions.
>>
>>7623137
Brah, stoicism has always been a thing.
>>
>>7623137
kek
>>
Poor copy of She: A History of Adventure.
>>
>>7624468
Do you even read that book once ?
>>
It is one of my favorites. The novel is quite salacious at times.
>>
Absolute shit, the worst classic novel I have ever read.

The idea to progress the story via journal entries so detailed they would put Sherlock Holmes
out of commission is the worst plot progressing device I have ever encountered in a book.

The first chapters in the castle were okay, but the book went to absolute shit after leaving
the castle. The only other redeeming quality was Dr Seward and his lunatic; where detailed
journal entries were actually believable.
>>
>>7627963
I kind of agree with this guy.
It's been 15 years since I read it but most of what I remember is that it was simply very poorly written. The structure and prose are shit.
I think it still is a "classic" since pretty much everything vamipre-related it built on it but it's not in itself a very good book, no.

Same goes for Frankenstein really.
>>
>>7627963
>>7627968
Both prefer the simple bumbling rhythms of Dr. Seuss.

In other words, OP, finish it.
>>
File: IMG_20160120_170719.jpg (513 KB, 1564x1564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_170719.jpg
513 KB, 1564x1564
>>7628654
Kek, will do m8. I actually dig the way the plot progresses via journal entries, It's fun going thru and looking at the times and dates. Also knowing that each read exactly what I read and knows only as much as I do really adds to the experience overall.

Which should I red next, Frankenstein or Jekyll & Hyde?
>>
>>7628654

To the shit that is this novel? Yeah, I actually do, at least Seuss doesn't
pretend to be realistic.

Look, there is a general degree of variance a reader must allow when
reading fiction, because let's face it, people don't communicate that way
in real life. But Dracula takes it to such an extent that it is outright absurd.
Those journal entries -- short of Dr Seward's in no way shape or form
resemble ANYTHING that a normal person would write in their own personal
journals.

If you're able to look past that shit show, more power to you, but the means
of advancing the plot via the overtly detailed journal entries is something I
couldn't get past. I regret wasting the time to finish the book.

Twilight was a more convincing story than the shit that is Bram Stoker's Dracula.
>>
Are there any actual good vampire books with decent prose?
>>
>>7629436
u mad
>>
>>7627963
I kind of agree. I fucking loved everything in the castle, but everything after was pretty boring. Didn't mind the journal style though.
>>
>>7629125
Jekyll and Hyde; it's performed more. Although there are those new Frankenstein movies.
The story behind the creation of the novel Frankenstein is enlightening.
>>
>>7629436
And Sir Arthur Conan Doyle... oh nevermind.
>>
>>7621357
I don't read English serialized garbage unless its for school and I dropped out years ago.
>>
>>7624477

Jup. She came out 10 years before Dracula, was huge blockbuster, and has nearly identical supernatural nemesis. Immortal, evil... and had very similar protagonist as well.
>>
>>7627963
Socrates pls go
>>
fucking b-o-r-i-n-g

1700-1900 was a fucking BORE
>>
>>7630700
> The story behind the creation of the novel Frankenstein is enlightening.

Oh? Please elaborate
>>
>>7628654
I didn't tell him not to finish it. I told him I think it's shit but somewhat important because it was "first."
I thought about mentioning some patrician books I've read to prove you wrong on the Seuss thing but you're not really that important.
>>
>>7634435
English writing-couples locked in a dark mansion on a stormy night. Mary Shelley emerges with... the beginnings of Frankenstein!
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.