[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
His Dark Materials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: hisdarkmaterialsheader[1].jpg (118 KB, 640x327) Image search: [Google]
hisdarkmaterialsheader[1].jpg
118 KB, 640x327
What did you think of His Dark Materials?
>>
Looks like young adult shit
>>
Thinly disguised satanistic propaganda.
>>
>>7619262
had an actual crush on lyra as a kid

was I the only one?

other than that I think Peter Hitchens hit the nail on the head
>>
>>7619262
Pretty good. It was probably the first book that left me seriously thinking about its concepts when I was a kid.

>>7619302
Didn't have a crush but I loved her as a character. Certainly a much better character than someone like Harry Potter.
>>
>>7619262
Giving something that so blatantly shits on monotheism to kids who might need it is nice, but Neil Gaiman's Harry Potter comics are better.
>>
>duuude, God is like the villain and the Church is an evil conspiracy xD
>SODEEP
>>
People try so fucking hard to find deep allusions and other retarded shit in it, but in reality it's a simplistic and shallow as fuck.
>>
>>7619380
Are you
>implying
that it doesn't make allusions to Paradife Loft, and that it's tryhard to suggest it does? Because it literally quotes it repeatedly.

Or are you saying it does make those allusions, but that they're shallow?
>>
>>7619262
Good kids' books. IIRC the first book was best, but then ain't that always the way?
>>
>>7619302
>Peter Hitchens hit the nail on the head
>a theistic neocon didn't like a book where theistic oppression is vilified
Colour me surprised. Wasn't he shocked that Pullman used the concept of "soul" when he's an atheist? What a goon.

Good books for the audience they're aimed at. The world is interesting and how it connects to the "real" world is clever. The protagonists have the merit of not being goody two shoes and instead have a rebellious, insidious streak to them. I'd argue the first two are great, but Amber Spyglass tried to do too much and fell flat in a lot of ways.

It's also an unabashed inversion of Paradise Lost, and this premise may hold the attention of an adult reader who likes Milton. It may not be obvious at first, but by the end of the first book you can clearly see the parallels, so it's quite interesting in that regard, too.
>>
>>7619428

He isn't an atheist. His themes are anticatholicism, corruption of soul, juvenile sex and fallen angels fighting to kill the god. That all have little to do with atheism and is clearly something different. I think Philip Pullman's Jesus, shows that well.
>>
>>7619279
>>7619274
Lmfao
>>
>>7619377
>>>help I didn't read the book
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.