[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shouldn't all poetic translations be literal? If the music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: wesleywillis4.jpg (95 KB, 573x395) Image search: [Google]
wesleywillis4.jpg
95 KB, 573x395
Shouldn't all poetic translations be literal? If the music of the poetry can't be maintained anyways, then why not at least maintain the words? Why am I reading the music of the translator?
>>
>>7613518
There are many poetic works that can't or shouldn't be translated.
What a translator of poetry should do is "remake" the poem in the language he wants it to be translated.
Practically, creating another poem.
>>
Translations can be many things. They can be interpretations which are different on purpose.
They can be literal, which can work, but it can't in all languages. They can be semi-literal, in that they aim for accuracy, but have a slight licence to change things to make them suit the language.
>>
>>7613532
drop trip faggot
>>
>poetry translations
You should only read poetry written in languages you understand
>>
>>7613518
Because not all poetry functions as a form of linguistic art. I agree that poetry which does function like that shouldn't be translated and poetic forms that don't fit the exported language (haiku) are plagues that need to end, but not all poetry is that. Sometimes -- often, in fact -- it's about the meaning, with the music being an aside.

In such situations, the "music" of the poem is a side attraction rather than the main event, and the translator's just adding a regionalised version of it without signifcantly changing anything. Nothing to really complain about, senpai.
>>
>>7613532
>>7613540
>>7613550
>>7613551
Good answers. Thanks!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.