[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's going to happen to sci-fi if the liberal media embraces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: Snapchat-6325703685114047661.jpg (541 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6325703685114047661.jpg
541 KB, 1080x1776
What's going to happen to sci-fi if the liberal media embraces the expunging of books where potential political analyses can be elucidated
>>
academic liberals scour literary works

genre fiction is not in the realm of "liberal" panderers
>>
>>7612201
That is a big question for that you would have to ask anyone who could become a potential author or lover of literature. besides liberals don't allow the destruction of art....
>>
>>7612257
Yeah, only the conformity of it.
>>
>>7612381
If liberals don't like something In literature it becomes satire, example in your case being starship troopers and its film treatment.

You are seeing spooks mate, there is no liberal conspiracy any more than there is a conservative conspiracy. Generalized cultural values change over time, and there are always reactions.
>>
>>7612257
>>7612386
>http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/01/21/sjws-politically-incorrect-purge-sci-fi/

This article is why I made the thread
>>
>>7612386
And since the topic is scifi the whole controversy regarding the Hugo Awards would indicate that liberals hold the majority of institutional power and with that power they unduly reward works that conform to their vision and punish those that don`t. Obviously values change over time and regardless of posturing liberals along with conservatives want it to conform.
>>
>>7612490
>breitbart
>>
>>7612507
Read another source than autist
>>
>>7612500
I just feel like theres such an irony in censoring sci-fi when that genre makes the most commentary about the dangers of censoring and all that. Plus what they change seems based on such arbitrary generalities, it's like they haven't even read the books they want banned based on rumors of what it contains.

I dont think I need to mention that you can extrapolate any message out of a book, and just because you see political commentary doesnt mean everyone else will, but that's such a base point it doesn't need mentioning.
>>
>>7612521
That's actually the opposite of irony.
>>
>>7612534
what? how
>>
>>7612201
you're retarded
>>
>>7612542
What do you mean "how", it just is. If you're banning books, obviously you're going to ban books that say how bad it is to ban books. It's appropriate. What would be ironic is if someone who wrote about how bad it is to ban books then went on to try and ban books.
>>
>>7612521
The thing about sci fi is that the audience isn't changing. Women and PoC mostly don't give a shit except for the very liberal successful top of the industry. They want aliens and God emperors. I think the future of Sci Fi is well assured, more so than any other type of literature. If anything more the real "liberal threat" is that the big awards panels are making 75% of their short lists non-whites, regardless of the content of the novels. It ain't just the Hugo, look at this years man booker authors.
>>
>>7612201
>the expunging of books where potential political analyses can be elucidated
>elucidated
Don't use big words if you don't know precisely what they mean. 'Elucidate' means 'Explain', not 'Derive' or 'Insert'
>>
>>7612201
It'll just be hi-jacked. In fact it already has been.
>>
>>7612201
>expunging
>elucidated
Nigga what, is this the 19th century
Nowadays we use the words "remove" and "explain"
>>
>sci-fi
this is a literature board
>>
>>7612511
>than
>>
>>7612201
Could you repeat that without sounding like a pseud?
>>
>>7612500
>caring about literary awards
>implying they haven't always been about politics and nepotism
>>
>>7612891
yo, the jews be taking our rocket yarns
>>
>>7612651
>hugo awards
pretty much all the eligible works are shit tho. It's either a novel about black lesbians fighting privilege in space or neocon milscifi pulp with swole aryan space marines killing barely camouflaged space muslims or commies. it's all utter shit anyways.
>>
>>7612893
>anon claims liberals are above demanding conformity in art
>I showcase this isn`t the case
>This means I care about awards or scifi in general
>>
>>7612914
literary awards have always been about demanding conformity, signalling which values and aesthetics are worthy of appreciation. Seriously, why do you care? IMO this is why sci-fi for the most part, can't achieve literary status. too much focus in genre conventions, too much attachment to fandom and too much didactic political commentary
>>
>>7612899
this Lmao
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.