[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /lit/ can you help me into philosophy? i know some surface-level
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1450337932059.jpg (552 KB, 1625x1117) Image search: [Google]
1450337932059.jpg
552 KB, 1625x1117
hey /lit/ can you help me into philosophy? i know some surface-level eastern thought. i've read the tao te ching and the i ching. but i know nothing about the west. can you recommend me some good starting points? i assume that this question gets asked here a lot so sorry in advance
>>
>>7606986
>philosophy

The only kids who care enough to read philosophy are those who weren't smart enough for STEM.
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7606986
Get him to the Greek
>>
>>7606989
true
>>
>>7606989

Philosophy is harder than the average STEM subject. I say that as a STEM major.
>>
>>7606990
>>7606993
i'm assuming that you mean plato and aristotle. if that's the case, then which works of theirs would you recommend to a beginner?
>>
>>7607005
Read the sticky, faggot
>>
>>7607031
k thx
>>
>>7607004
Not really. You are just more likely to be paired with opinionated professors who are almost always guaranteed to disagree with you at times and hold you accountable with a low grade. If you are strong in your STEM field, you are almost guaranteed to end your collegiate era with a good GPA. In Philosophy, you are more likely to end with a mediocre GPA because philosophy is partial to opinions in many cases... I wouldn't major in philosophy. I got a B in my intro class and said fuck that.
>>
>>7607063

You must have had shit professors. I got an A in my intro class and argued the fuck out of the professor. Honestly, to the point the rest of the class just shut up and let us argue. It was pretty pathetic.
>>
File: low_quality_bait.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
low_quality_bait.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>7606989
The numbers dont lie

Actual
http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/

Intended
http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/
>>
>>7607090

Thanks. I don't get how anyone can think that putting glorified conceptual lego blocks together to meet predefined goals is a mark of intelligence.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.