[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /lit/ think of Bukowski
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 194x259
Drunken edge lord
Nihilistic genius
Who gives a shit
>>
he was a beautiful man
>>
>>7600346
just a hack faggot
>>
>>7600431
Glad to see someone else thinks so
>>
One and three.
>>
You know who this is, yada, yada.
>>
I'm reading Ham on Rye right now. All I'm going to say is that I should have listened to /lit/.
>>
Bukowski is a good lad, he writes simply but truthful and it's comforting if that kind of life is something you can relate to.

Anyone who disagrees hasn't worked menial labour for long enough.
>>
>>7601513
>Anyone who disagrees hasn't worked menial labour for long enough.

I don't think people who dislike Bukowski believe he's necessarily wrong about anything, he's just overly simplistic, banal, and isn't remotely talented as far as writing goes as a craft. Why wouldn't I just read Henry Miller? Now there's a guy whose work I worship.
>>
When I'm sober I like Wallace Stevens and Hart Crane

I like Charles Bukowski when drunk. In vino veritas. My deepest soul is a pleb
>>
>>7601513
>>7601522
I agree with being able to relate to him intensifies the enjoyment. Someone once said his books are about victory over the tedious and menial 9 to 5. I agree.

I like him because he was the first 'real' lit i got into. That and he's easy to read, like watching some action film over something foreign and sophisticated, though his shtick was done better by Celine and Hemingway and Fante.
>>
>>7601522
The banal simplicity fits the subject matter. I can see why you don't consider it beautiful or well written, but I find some sort of beauty in the ugliness.

I like Miller, but at times he gets way too hysterical for me. I find despair more convincing when it's subdued.
>>
>>7601533
No offense to you but sometimes when I hear or see someone say they like Hart Crane I wonder if they're not just sucking Bloom's dick. Crane is talented but he's also very opaque and unrefined. He's the literary equivalent of 100% dark chocolate, packed to the brim with syntactical tricks, obscure vocabulary and a high register. As a result, reading him is slow and bitter business. There's something to be said about his difficulty and clarity and pure poetics but the fact remains that I don't find Crane as pleasurable to read as Stevens or even Eliot.
>inb4 "pleb"
>>
>>7600346
he's a pretty alright writer with the most irritating fanbase ever

all fuckin like
i own moleskins and go to burning man i'm a straight collegiate white guy why won't chicks love me i have a bland edgelord personality and smoke but not too many i don't want to get addicted i just think smoking is cool did i mention i like pulp fiction i'm not like all the other boys :vOOO
>>
>>7600605
This is his most readable book. It is quite fun to follow how he grows up and becomes a insufferable dick.
>>
File: silence is golden.jpg (127 KB, 779x380) Image search: [Google]
silence is golden.jpg
127 KB, 779x380
>>7601513
This is a set up. This is just too perfect...
>>
File: 2346733257422.jpg (91 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
2346733257422.jpg
91 KB, 640x637
>>7600346
I love this old bastard.
He was and still is very popular in Germany.
>>
>>7602933
So is hitler

Krauts not even once
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.