[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
knausgard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: knausgard2.jpg (32 KB, 282x449) Image search: [Google]
knausgard2.jpg
32 KB, 282x449
how far are you? finishing book 2 rn (1st one was much better)

just a comfy read? is he a great writer? is the ideology of thebook actually fascist
>>
>>7588704
I've read all six. Personally I thought book 2 was the best in the entire series.

>is the ideology of thebook actually fascist

What?
>>
>>7588716
when he talks with his friend Geir they keep referring to "anti-liberal thinkers", Geir says about some author "he wasn't a fascist... I woulnd't mind if he was" and one of the writers they seem to admire (Hauge?) praised Hitler in his diaries IIRC

it's very subtle and I probably wouldn't care, and I might be wrong (that's why i'm asking) but one of the reviews from the Guardian mentioned it as well
>>
>>7588716
Yeah, that seems to be the commonly-held opinion. I've yet to read the second book, but I'm hyped as it apparently depicts his life as a late teenager/young adult.
>>
>>7588728
I don't remember myself, but they were probably talking about Hamsun who was an outspoken nazi. He was also Norway's perhaps greatest and most influential author, so I don't think it matters that he was a fascist as long as he made great works of art.
>>
>>7588751
It's actually mostly adult Knausgård we meet in book 2, and there's a lot of interaction with his young kids in it. In the first book it was half Knausgård as a teenager, and half as adult Knausgård losing his father. In the second Knausgård is the father himself.

I think it's book 4 and 5 who are almost exclusively about Knausgård as a teenager/young adult.
>>
>>7588751
the 2nd bok is mostly about his relationship with his second wife and their children - it's very nice (I particularly liked the descriptions of children and taking care of them), but the first book captivated me far more (maybe because I could identify with his childhood experiences and not necessarily with his life as a father)
>>7588759
yeah I wouldn't discard a book just because the author is a fascist... L.F. Celine is one of my favourite writers and Wagner my favourite composer, even if I'm pretty leftist myself lol
>>
>>7588769
(ofc Wagner wasn't a fascist but a pretty extreme anti-Semite.)
>>
>>7588728
he's anti-SJW and anti-feminist
>>
Loved the first book. The second was even better, I think.
>>
>>7588817
No, he's just a bit nuanced about it. Doesn't make him anti.
>>
>>7589053
this

he still takes care of his children like a proper Scandinavian man... don't mind him feeling a bit weird about it, we wre all raised with certain gendered expectations; would like to have such a husband

regardless of politics, as a relatively young person without family I loved his honest descriptions of family life, they make the whole thing seem a bit more attainable
>>
i read a goodreads review that said it was almost like a big long gag wherein the life parallels hitler thus the fascism and thus the title
>>
>>7589402
Kek

Except for an abusive father I don't see much similarity
>>
>>7590123
He spends a huge portion of the final book discussing Hitlers life and ultimately comparing it with his own. I think he mostly relates with Hitler's troubled youth. His fathers abuse and death, his struggle to create art, his sensitivity and shyness, his idealisation and fear of women, him only having one close friend and so on. There are definitely more differences though which he brings up. The most obvious one being Hitler never having any children of his own, and thus never knowing what it's like being a father himself.

I don't think that's the point of the book(s) though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.