[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any novels containing 40s-50's vocabulary and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: help.jpg (63 KB, 798x620) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
63 KB, 798x620
Are there any novels containing 40s-50's vocabulary and speech? I know, look for books written in the 40's and 50's, but which ones capture the way average citizens spoke?
>>
>>7587185
there are a lot of ww2 instructional videos, a lot

watch those instead
>>
>>7587195
WW2 instructional videos?
>>
>>7587264
yes, you do know of ww2, right?
>>
>>7587280
Ok, so, an instructional video of how to ww2?
>>
>>7587297
I dunno man I just give advice I don't explain it
>>
>>7587304
i'm going to frame that quote
>>
>>7587304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_VqgqBk7E

this is hilarious
>>
>>7587321
>sometimes a neat right cross to the jaw
>sometimes a neat right thumb to the eye
Holy shit
>>
>>7587304
Lel
>>
Just like present day, people spoke in all sorts of ways. Slang in one place wasn't known in another, accents, there are so many variables. Add to that the fact that there wasn't as much travel as there is now, or social media, and the pockets of unique speech become even more specific.
>>
File: Babbitt.jpg (12 KB, 192x297) Image search: [Google]
Babbitt.jpg
12 KB, 192x297
>>7587185
This was written in the 20s or 30s. So it should be similar...desu senpai its not really that different
>>
>hey internet strangers, how can i act and speak like people from a place and time that i romanticize from selected media i've consumed

what kind of weeaboo horse shit is this
>>
>>7587321

>toss in a grenade and let them divide it

wew lad
>>
>>7589609
you ever think that he's trying to research for a writing project?

christ...
>>
would the recognitions (gaddis) have an adequate amount of dialogue to dissect?
>>
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
>>7589609
>projecting this hard
>>
Catcher in the Rye
>>
>>7587321
>You son of a bitch!
Holy shit! Actual swearing
>>
>>7587185
Honestly Gravity's Rainbow does a good job of it, especially the "low"/pop culture side of things.
>>
>>7587185
The black dahlia?
>>
Raise High the Roofbeam Carpenters/all of Salinger's work. Roofbeam is my favorite. Super short, funny, and a great snapshot of America at the time.
>>
The Long Goodbye
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.