[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At my girlfriend's suggestion, I'm reading only female
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: jane.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
jane.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
At my girlfriend's suggestion, I'm reading only female authors this year to atone for the fact that I read only male authors last year (how did I let that happen?!).

Name your favorite books by women, and I'll add to my to-read list!
>>
go back to r/books
>>
Just browse tumblr.
>>
>>7586999
That's eerie. How did you know I was a regular there? I was recently linked to this board, and it seems pretty good. By the way, nice threes!
>>
>>7587013
Weak bait.

Also, read Woolf and Zora Neale Hurston.
>>
j k rowling
danielle steele
anne rice
jean m aule
jackie collins
>>
I've already made a troll thread like this before and people didn't buy it then. But because I like to recommend books to people:

George Eliot - Middlemarch
Penelope Fitzgerald - The Blue Flower
Edith Wharton - The House of Mirth
Flannery O'Connor - stories
Katherine Mansfield - stories
A.S. Byatt - Possession
Christina Stead - The Man Who Loved Children
Barbara Pym - Quartet in Autumn
Naidine Gordimer - Burger's Daughter
>>
>>7586996
If you read by any external variable you should go fuck yourself.
Jesus.
>>
>>7587013
very weak
>>
>>7586996
Allowing another person to apply limits to your knowledge ... enjoy being effeminate.
>>
Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Satan Says by Sharon Olds
Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
Secret History by Donna Tartt
Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison
Drawing Blood by Molly Crabapple
>>
>>7587013
very very weak
>>
File: 1440008095569.jpg (144 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1440008095569.jpg
144 KB, 800x800
>>7587069
>yfw he's literally getting pegged and cucked, both physically and /lit/eraturely
>>
>>7587017
>>7587031
>>7587114
If you reject my claim that I'm a regular there, then you must think I'm a regular here. It feels good to be accepted.
>>
>>7586996
Yanigahara plath and atwood
>>
>>7587024
Mirin sentiment
>>
>>7586996
I can not even start to imagine how it is like being such a cuck that you don't even have a clear set of ideas and goals when you're reading books, so that you have to reach as low as having your mind made based on other people's 'suggestion'.
>>
>>7587124
still weak and half of all these people on lit are r9k anyways
>>
Ayn rand
>>
>>7587162

>He somehow hasn't noticed the fifty various "what does /lit/ think of this book?" threads on this board every day
>>
>>7587174
EXACTLY
>>
I had to read a few non male authors in high school and college.
I found the experience so disgusting that I haven't read any books by non males since.
>>
>>7586996
It doesn't matter what the author's gender, race, orientation is, all that matters is the subject matter and how it's handled.
Limiting yourself to only women is sexists as it perpetuates the idea that you have to force yourself to read a book by a woman.
>>
>>7587020

>Jean M Aule

I saw some of her stuff in my basement recently. Anything in particular worth reading?
>>
>>7586996

> Dickinson
> Austen
> Wolfe
> O'Hara
> Barnes

there you go, all the female writers worth reading. If you have to fill space, Elizabeth Bishop and Marianne Moore is about as close you'll get to good poetry from a woman not on the list above.

Dickinson is actually a fantastic poet, and Austen is an accomplished novelist
>>
>>7586996
Does she let you watch? When she cucks you?
>>
>>7586996
what's it like being a cuck
>>
>>7587277
Why would she do that?
>>
>>7587385
She don't even let you watch? Man, what a heartless bitch.
>>
women should not be allowed to vote
>>
>>7587393
Haha, whaaat? Excuse me? You feelin' OK, bud?
>>
Hilary Mantel. Read Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.
>>
The Fifth Child - Doris Lessing
Triumf - Marlene Van Niekirk
A Curtain of Green and other Stories - Eudora Welty
A Fairly Honorable Defeat - Iris Murdoch
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
The Story of an African Farm - Olive Schreiner
The Virgin in the Garden - A.S. Byatt
GUT Symmetries - Jeanette Winterson
>>
Quite possibly bait thread but whatevs

Classics:
Wuthering Heights
Mrs Dalloway
Middlemarch
Emily Dickinson

Less classic but I enjoyed:
White Teeth
The Time Traveler's Wife

Haven't read but have heard decent things about and mean to at some time:
Sylvia Plath
Ayn Rand (I know she's a little /pol/)

Also:
>inb4 > tumblr
Germain Greer is pretty fun to read, she's a feminist but the slightly more old fashioned type that actually talked sense before the name was hijacked by American lesbians, she's anti a lot of tumblr-y things
>>
>>7587393
Many British soldiers of the first world war couldn't, while suffragettes were complaining back home.
>>
Ayn Rand
>>
File: laughing_girls.png (538 KB, 680x354) Image search: [Google]
laughing_girls.png
538 KB, 680x354
>>7586996
Wow anon.

You've been pussy whipped
>>
I'm really surprised Zadie Smith hasn't been mentioned. Friends of DFW and all that.
>>
NO NIGGAS POSTING MURIEL SPARK - THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE. THE BEST BOOK YOU WILL EVER READ ABOUT A GIRL'S SCHOOL AND A NUN.
>>
There are plenty of great female authors, with lots of good recommendations in this thread alone, but the idea of limiting yourself to one gender, for any reason, is retarded. Tell your gf to fuck off. You should be telling her what books to read.
>>
>>7587013
Jesus, be more creative next time.
>>
>>7586996
Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, My AntonĂ­a, Little Women, Oryx and Crake, The Bell Jar (sue me), and Open Secrets is a good collection of Short Stories.

Short stories: The Bear Came Over the Mountain, and We Who So Seldom Look on Love are also good.
>>
>>7587265
No O'Connor? I think she really is one of the better writers about rural America.
>>
File: antiquing.jpg (384 KB, 1148x638) Image search: [Google]
antiquing.jpg
384 KB, 1148x638
>>7587802
>>7587547
>>7587498
>>7587492
>>7587481
>>7587459
>>7587401
>>7587257
>>7587236
>>7587020

Holy shit OP, you really baited the plebbit out with this thread. good job
>>
Zadie Smith
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.