[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has ANYBODY put forward any form of literature worth reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
Has ANYBODY put forward any form of literature worth reading that argues in favor of objective morality in a godless society, that is worth reading?
>>
>>7579703
You're gonna hate me for this but Sam Harris is the guy for you.
>>
>>7579703
richard dawkins
>>
>>7579715

This anon's diary desu
>>
Maybe Aristotle?
>>
>>7579715
>>>/reddit/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7579703
read thus spake zarathustra and manalive
>>
>>7579703
Kant
>>
>>7579703
Stefan Molyneux has vids on his YouTube channel explaining his objective moral theories, and he is an atheist, he also explains in his book called UPB (stands for Universally Preferable Behavior)
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>7579723
>Nietzsche
>believing in objective morality
>>
>>7579914
Morality with an objective.
>>
>>7579715
"Literature worth reading" is the disqualifier here.
>>
>>7579921

That's not the same thing.
>>
>>7579921
That's almost the exact opposite.
>>
>>7579921
i kek'd wp anon
>>
>>7579784
You can get the book for free, I think, at his website freedomaneradio(dot)com
>>
Chief Keef
>>
>>7579784
>>7580898
Yeah, UPB is pretty shit. It's basically just a bunch of sophistry and not a philosophically sound argument.
>>
>>7581005
>>7580898
C'mon guys, dont download it for free, at least donate a dollar, the book has a lot of great content and for the price of a cup of coffe
ONE CUP
Come on man
>>
>>7579715
>>7579718
Where to start with these 2 memers?
I always thought they just debated Christians and said "science is awesome!"
Im not really interested in reading about the debate whether there is god or not god, more interested in what each of those would mean
>>
>>7579703
Pretty much any analytic philosopher working on ethics. Historically, Kant, Bentham, Sidgwick, and Hobbes would be good sources. In continental philosophy I guess Levinas ans Sartre, and De Beauvoir but I'm not too familiar with their stuff.
>>
>>7579703
No, because in order to believe that you have to be completely deluded and more religious than any religious person to ever live.
>>
>>7581363
Most humans believe right and wrong exist, you are a minority and quite frankly if you subscribe to such a view you should be subjected to the worse of that view.
>>
>>7581311
No. Don't pay anything for that lazy garbage. Take it for nothing and if you are convinced (an unlikely scenario if you can think at all clearly) then pay the schmuck some money.
>>
>>7581407
I do believe in objective morality, but this most definitely led me to abandon my atheism and get gradually more and more into the metaphysical domain.
>>
>>7581434
Why is that? The attempt at solving the problem of evil by christians is laughable.
>>
>>7579703
i think the problem is that objective morality doesnt have a basis in a secular world. this isnt necessarily a problem, since objective morality is hardly reached by divine authority that has no evidence in the physical world beyond goatfucker journals. i think you'll have to take solace in intersubjectivity, since that is the only practical route to a reasonable moral system that a secularist has. in the end, any of these conversations devolves into arguing which is the best music, or best book
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.