[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
20th Century Theologian Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Paul_Tillich.jpg (24 KB, 290x382) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Tillich.jpg
24 KB, 290x382
Let us share some of our favorite theologians from the past century, Im reading The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich, who is considered a Christian Existentialist. Who should I read next, /lit/?
PS. Reminder that it is 20th century only, but if you really wanna share someone from the 19th century (and it's not Kierkegaard) well then thats fine i suppose. God Bless you anons
>>
Based Thomas Merton
>>
>>7576629
any recommended works by the guy?
>>
plantinga
>>
>>7576645
what have you read by him
>>
>>7576636
I've not read it but I heard seven story mountain is really good. He's got a really great and eloquent sense for communicating the divine

There's a really thin booklet of quotes from many of his works that's part of some spirituality series I forgot the name of. Check on Amazon, I remember the cover was all white, black text, with some blue in the center. If I wasn't on my phone I would post some of his stuff
>>
I probably should make a thread to ask this, but this is about Christianism, so it kinda belongs here:

What book would you recommend me (I consider myself intelligent) to help me become Christian?

I've been a christian before. Then I read about Tantra and Buddhism, a lot Nietzsche, a bit Kierkegaard (planning reread Fear and tremble or whatever you call it (Eng no my firs lang)), etc. and I seem to me unable to believe anymore.
>>
>>7577413
Kierkegaard is what helped me, friend. Are you saying that reading him made you not believe? Maybe get your feet wet with the basics first, like CS Lewis, and see what you agree and disagree with, then go from there. Christian-existentialism is really the only way I know how to be Christian in this day and age, give Kierkegaard another shot, and be honest with yourself if you properly understand it or not. It took me quite a while to really understand Kierkegaard, and theres still layers that I havnt quite gotten yet. Really give it your best effort, seek help on the internet if you need it
>>
File: Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg (2 MB, 2396x4680) Image search: [Google]
Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg
2 MB, 2396x4680
>>7577413
>>7576623
Ratzinger was and is pretty based. Merton is also good in his earlier work of course.
Honestly theology has such a massive tradition that if you go chronologically it would take a long time even to get to the 20th century.
>>
>>7576658
thanks ill check him out
>>
>>7578030
Lewis is absolute starter pleb tier. Discount Chesterton.
>>
>>7578040
thats why i suggested it, nothing wrong with the starter stuff if thats what you need. sure theres quite a bit he says that i dont agree with but it at least provided some sort of grounding for what i do and do not believe
>>
>>7578047
I like the fact that he got me into philosophy, but honestly now I wouldn't find his argumentation very convincing.
He is trying to be too analytical, which isn't wrong in itself, but he is no Kant or Aquinas.
>>
Gershem Scholem bitches.
>>
File: Fante.png (69 KB, 642x322) Image search: [Google]
Fante.png
69 KB, 642x322
>>7577413
>>
>>7578087
any recommended works?
>>
File: ccc.jpg (49 KB, 464x464) Image search: [Google]
ccc.jpg
49 KB, 464x464
>>7578035
please
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.