[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Old lady at work who sits in lunchroom with some shitty paperback
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault2.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault2.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>Old lady at work who sits in lunchroom with some shitty paperback
>You sit down to eat and read as well
>One minute passes
>Say anon, did I tell you about my daughter's track competition?
>Nod and "mm-hmm" until she goes back to her book.
>Two minutes pass
>Hey anon
Seriously, how the fuck do people read so passively? Are they even fucking reading? How can you get immersed in a story if you're stopping to talk at people every fucking minute?

I was hoping I'd be able to eat at the office today. I brought something to microwave. But that lady, she is here. I can't keep fucking blowing money going out to eat fast-food shit.
>>
As a NEET I don't really relate to this thread.

Saged, Hidden.
>>
>>7576588
World's most trivial problem
>>
>>7576588
fuck women plebs, man!!
theyre intellectually inferior to a towering mind like yours.

I can imagine your reaction: "FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

epic

>>>/reddit/

This board is for literature, not your autism
>>
>>7576588
>goes to the lunchroom to read
>is surprised when people talk to him

kill yourself

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7576596
>women plebs
I actually don't think this way.

Fuck normie plebs. Especially elderly ones. Not /reddit, more >>7576599 >/r9k
>>
>>7576588
You sound like a prick
>>
>>7576607
What were you even reading lemme guess, 1984 or dostoevsky or some other pleb shit lmao
>>
>>7576588
>I brought something to microwave.
I think I found the problem here and its that you're a food pleb
>>
>>7576617
I'm what you'd call an intellectual. I can't be too enmeshed in the petty worries of plebs around me.

I have read both Infinite Jest and Pynchon and am in the midst of finishing Schopenhauer's 'On Women', so you can imagine that I am quite special and unlike the unwashed masses.
>>
>>7576617
You are reddit.

Seriously, how do people go through life passively absorbing their reading? Movies, too. People just throw on something and half-pay attention to it.

Fuck all this, I'm going to lunch.

>>7576625
It was Tundra.
>>
>>7576637
Were you really giving this woman the cold shoulder because of how you assume she was reading her book? Lel
>>
>>7576648
No I feign interest.
>>
>>7576660
Don't be a fake faggot, no one likes that guy
>>
>>7576596
Seriously, just go away.
>>
>>7576668
And nobody likes the person who sees that someone is reading yet goes on for ten minutes straight about NASCAR.

>>7576626
It was leftover home-cooked food. Get on my level.
>>
>>7576588
Old people are often pretty lonely. She just wanted to talk to you.
>>
>>7576588

It's a shitty paperback. People read them just to pass the time. You might as well ask how people can have conversations while watching a stupid sitcom on the TV.
>>
>>7576730
That's no excuse to have shit-boring one-sided conversation.
>>
>>7576862
It's one sided because you didn't play along.

If you want solitude, seek a solitary place or make it known that your reading time is your 'me time' and that it's nothing personal.

When I was in high school (16) I worked at a pharmacy and would always talk to a guy that was a senior at another high school. Despite the fact that he was always reading, he always stopped to talk to me if our lunched overlapped. So maybe I was being rude.
But I did read all of Kafka and a bunch of other painfully mind number stuff (for 16-17 year old me) because of how he would go on about them.

I swear I felt like I was dying while reading Kafka. The weight of the world was crushing me and there was no escape.

Thanks Shane.
>>
>>7576950
No, she just is not a good conversationalist. Besides being boring, she is breathless, any any points you bring up in conversation are drowned out by whatever mundane topic she is on. Worse yet--and the point of this thread--is that I'M FUCKING READING. Seriously, it is just plain fucking rude to repeatedly and at length but in on somebody who is reading. I don't care how old you are or if you had cancer or if you live alone.

This is now a patrician /rage thread.
>>
Microwave your shit and then go eat at your desk.
>>
>>7576588

>brought some microwave food
>can't keep blowing money on fast-food shit

people like you disgust me
>>
>>7577004
Please see >>7576720
>It was leftover home-cooked food.

People who reply before reading disgust me.
>>
>>7576978

>patrician /rage

Contradictory. Rage is very much plebeian. Measured contempt is the real patrician rage.
>>
>>7576588

Just cook your food and go hide in the washroom. That's what I do on days where the autism is strong.
>>
>>7576588
you keep saying "that's nice" until she realizes you're paying no attention
if she still continues after a few days, either she wants to inflict that on your for not paying attention or, more likely, *she's* not paying attention to *you*, in which case you should say increasingly horrible things until she gets horrified and leaves you alone forever
>>
>>7577025
Very good point.

>>7576999
>>7577028
Whenever I can, I nuke and take, or pack a sandwich, or go out to eat. But there are still days in which I use the kitchen.

>>7577098
I work in a very conservative place and everybody is saccharine sweet and sheltered. It behooves me to not rock the boat.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.