[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did this part mean? Am we supposed to know? >The way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
What did this part mean? Am we supposed to know?

>The way it ended with Gertrude Stein was strange enough. We had become very good friends [...]
>It was before noon but the maidservant poured me a glass of eau-de-vie, put it in my hand and winked happily. The colorless alcohol felt good on my tongue and it was still in my mouth when I heard someone speaking to Miss Stein as I had never heard one person speak to another; never, anywhere, ever.
>Then Miss Stein's voice came pleading and begging, saying, 'Don't, pussy. Don't. Don't, please don't. I'll do anything, pussy, but please don't do it. Please don't. Please don't, pussy.'
>I swallowed the drink and put the glass down on the table and started for the door
>>
>>7575562

It makes sense that Stein was so arrogant and smug in public, she liked to play the subservient bottom dyke behind closed doors.
>>
>>7575562
It means Hem admired and valued Gertrude Stein's friendship and mentorship until he saw the lesbo side of her life.
>>
File: gs.gif (462 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
gs.gif
462 KB, 320x240
>>
I doubt he gave a fuck about her being a dyke, he was a man who understood the appreciation of the female form, but that submissiveness and servility is something that would turn his stomach - or at least turn the stomach of the image he liked to project.
>>
>>7576224
>pictured is reddit entering and then getting the fuck out.
>>
i think he just left because he heard them fucking
>>
>>7576269
Can someone confirm this? It's bugging me. Did he hear an argument or sex? What does this mean:
> I heard someone speaking to Miss Stein as I had never heard one person speak to another; never, anywhere, ever.
>>
>>7577245
It was her partner walking out on her. It was a fight.
>>
>>7577261
Still, Hemingway is a pretty worldly guy. He even describes earlier in the book how he is crude in comparison to another lady who advises him he spent too much time in the army around perverts and ruffians. So what has he never heard before ever?
>>
>>7577268
It was still a different era and he didn't like seeing that type of thing. Especially in someone he's supposed to look up to.
>>
>>7577261
I think this correct. If I recall, "pussy" was an affectionate nickname back then.
>>
>>7577268
It's always hard when the people we look up to become mortal in our eyes. That's what he couldn't stomach.
>>
>>7577408
Yes, this. He was fine with Stein being a lesbian, he just didn't want to see it. Walking in on a fight and having her all submissive and begging was too much for him, so he stopped seeing her.
>>
>>7577431
>He was fine with Stein being a lesbian, he just didn't want to see it.
What a faggot.
>>
>>7577437
Well, Hemmmingway was rumored like like the d.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.