[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got done watching Radio Free Albemuth which is a depiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: VALIS(1stEd).jpg (49 KB, 250x427) Image search: [Google]
VALIS(1stEd).jpg
49 KB, 250x427
I just got done watching Radio Free Albemuth which is a depiction of Philip K. Dick's VALIS.

What did you guys think about the craaazy story?

Philip K. Dick was right
>>
>>7565295
He was right. Couldn't finish Valis though it was just exhausting. Do Androids and the Minority Report short story were spot on though. A Scanner Darkly is my favorite book by him. Love that schizo speed-head
>>
>>7565295
It's a girl I know's favorite book but I never really cared for PKD
>>
How am I supposed to take the pseudo-intellectual babbling of Valis? Is it ironic? Is it sincere? Is it a little of both? Who's the voice of reason? Dick or Fat?
>>
>>7565526
Take everything literally. Dick was massive schizo that was also very compulsive and did drugs up the ass
>>
>>7565295
However pretensious and inept in his attempt intellectualize his point, Dick was definitely on to something, at the very least in terms of the deeper intuitions that marginalized people have about what is wrong with society.
>>
>>7565526

Based on his Exegesis, he did believe all of it, but off and on. His views, just as his drugs, changed constantly and his novels are ways of exploring some of his paranoid/schizoid visions.
>>
>>7565526
Both. PKD knew that he wasn't right in the head, that he perceived things that weren't real, and sort of accepted it. But, he also believed that a pink laser from space (obvious hallucination) warned him of his son's epileptic seizure (reality). The fact that this occurred--that something that couldn't be real still had a relationship to reality--pretty much undid any last shred of sanity he had. Then he wrote VALIS.
>>
>>7565321
He's a bad writer. But his ideas are interesting and worthwhile
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.