[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is so post-ironic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 175351_700b.jpg (83 KB, 700x581) Image search: [Google]
175351_700b.jpg
83 KB, 700x581
I'm curious what /lit/ has to say about post-irony.

Is it real? do you give the term any credence? How would you succinctly define it if so? If you think it's bullshit then why?

Im asking because I came across a quote from a Guardian article on it:

"there are a number of misconceptions about irony that are peculiar to recent times....the eighth is that "post-ironic" is an acceptable term - it is very modish to use this, as if to suggest one of three things: i) that irony has ended; ii) that postmodernism and irony are interchangeable, and can be conflated into one handy word; or iii) that we are more ironic than we used to be, and therefore need to add a prefix suggesting even greater ironic distance than irony on its own can supply. None of these things is true."

Do you agree /lit/? Do you?

pic related it's from a comedy site I like to save images from :^)
>>
I've only ever heard the term post-ironic used ironically. The circle remains a circle.
>>
>>7564253
Think of it this way:
Shitposting is shit like Chris-Chan unironically posting his sonic oc.
Ironic shitposting is people satirically acting as if they have sonic ocs.
Enter anime chalkboard, "It's still shitposting," maymay.
Postironic shitposting is not caring and intentionally destroying something you care minutely about 4dalulz.
>>
post-irony is where I do something I'm ashamed of at an ironic distance but I still genuinely enjoy it.
>>
I'm over here thinking post irony is a rejection of irony after fucking it dead for a century or two and essentially moving on to, oh boy, a new sincerity.

as in PC music came too late and jazz is just around the corner
>>
>>7566451
i dunno, i've always seen the term "post-irony" as just implicitly meaning another descriptor attached to the term irony, not like something signifying a new irony-free age. post-punk is really just a new kind of punk music, not an age of music completely absent of punk.
>>
>>7566451
I actually think you have it backwards with pc music. I know some of the people behind them and I would say they have a real sincerity in what they do. The images and themes they the put out are extremely kitsch, that much is true, but I don't think they do it to be ironic. In that sense I consider pc music post ironic, I.e: You cannot tell if what you are seeing and hearing is ironic or not.
>>
>>7566502
so is it just ignorance on the part of post-ironists? or like some kind of childish abandonment or reversion? i don't get how its a mindblowing new paradigm
>>
>>7566502
you just said you think they aren't being ironic, so how is post-irony just a cloud of unknowing about whether or not there's irony
>>
>>7564253

irony is the first step of making retarded shit acceptable or hip

then quickly after it's post-irony (new sincere) where it's hardly decipherable

then people will just hang with it and dont care about it any more

in the modern world where there is nothing eternal and where trends need to flow i think post-irony is fairly new
>>
>>7564253
>>7566561

they call it new sincere for a reason, in a sense it's a way for them to try new things without being labeled gay/tryhard too fast

it doesnt touch the ground entirely yet
>>
>>7566515
>>7566515
I'm Op, I'm really undecided and wary of the term post-ironic, but I can't deny that I find myself wanting to use the term for certain things for want of another word. I actually agree with >>7566466 I think it can be considered supplementary to irony, this makes it easier to deal with. As with post modernism I think the label is ascribed and never really self-applied, so with the pc music example, the guy behind the music and art direction (A.G Cook) is genuinely inspired by late 80s through to early millennial sounds and themes (think bands like Scritti Politti), many of which are discarded and considered kitsch trash in pop-culture. When you consider PC Music's popularity now, the respect they've garnered in the music industry (many of its members are involed in big production in some way now) and most importantly the copycats they've spawned, I think you have to ask yourself how music with a recipe list that takes from the forgotten and discarded kitsch, the cheese of bygone pop eras has enjoyed so much success. But I'm struggling to make a connection between that phenomenon and post-irony, I feel like there is one but maybe I'm wrong. Just to clarify I'm *not* suggesting that either pc music or post-irony are hugely influential or large movements, I'm just using it as an example.
>>
>>7564253
it is definitely a thing. There are lots of examples like Lil B, MLP, today's use of the word "edgy" and so on. *sniff*

Some people do something ironically (liking shitty music specifically because they think it is bad)
Other people do no realize that those people are doing it ironically (thinking that people like that music because they genuinely think it is good)
The second group of people begin doing what the first group did, but they do it ironically (their favorite music becomes the ironically liked bad music)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.