[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the gods ought to come to me, not I to them what did he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Plotinos.jpg (69 KB, 569x681) Image search: [Google]
Plotinos.jpg
69 KB, 569x681
>the gods ought to come to me, not I to them

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>7562669
That the onus is on bullshit to prove itself instead having me finding ways to delude myself that bullshit is real. Or that he has a limp and doesn't want to go anywhere.
>>
Context:

> Both Amelius and Porphyry were very much taken with religious movements, ritual, and oracles of all sorts. Plotinus did not share these interests: Amelius became keen on sacrificial rites and went out doing the rounds of the temples at the New Moon and the religious feasts. He once wanted to take Plotinus with him, but Plotinus said, ‘they [the gods] should come to me, not I to them’. We were not able to understand what he might have meant with such grand words and we did not dare to ask him. (Life, 10. 33–8)
>>
File: 1431172880466.png (185 KB, 626x600) Image search: [Google]
1431172880466.png
185 KB, 626x600
>>7562669
meditate
see devas
devas help you
devas trick you
reach nibanna
>>
>>7562851
Hahahahaha Jesus Christ, that fucking beta
>>
>>7562851
what a cuck
>>
Sounds like he's not interested in the mere outward signs and motions of ritual when a far surer way to communion with the gods probably lies in contemplation and meditation.
>>
>>7562851
please don't post this cringe shit, I'm trying to focus on shitposting
>>
He doesn't believe a god exists until he has proof there is one.
Or is that too simple?
>>
>>7563823
He is not a 21st century redditor. I assume you have to read his works to find out what he actually thought.
>>
File: Plotinus.jpg (76 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Plotinus.jpg
76 KB, 600x600
>>
>The soul: what dubious questions concerning it admit of solution, or where we must abide our doubt- with, at least, the gain of recognizing the problem that confronts us- this is matter well worth attention. On what subject can we more reasonably expend the time required by minute discussion and investigation? Apart from much else, it is enough that such an enquiry illuminates two grave questions: of what sphere the soul is the principle, and whence the soul itself springs. Moreover, we will be only obeying the ordinance of the God who bade us know ourselves.

What did he mean by this?
>>
Divine overflow.
Man doesn't have to constantly send messages up to the Gods and invoke them, because the One [God] is already manifest in the world, whose Being is its "offspring." The One can "be seen as far as it can become an object of contemplation" and "The One is not in some place, depriving all the rest of its presence. It is present to all those who can touch it and absent only to those who cannot."
>>
"Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I would strike out the sun if it insulted me. For could the sun do that, then could I do the other; since there is ever a sort of fair play"
>>
>>7563889
Wrong pantheon dumbass
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.