[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can happiness exist without sadness /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled20.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Untitled20.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Can happiness exist without sadness /lit/?
>>
Watch Inside Out to find out. It's an excellent film and it deserves to win best picture.
>>
>>7560509
Already seen it, what are some good books with the same theme as my OP?
>>
I do hope so, It would mean that a lot of happiness in coming my way soon.
>>
I don't think so. It's well noted in many eastern philosophies such as Taoism that such dualities are inherently complimentary, if not dependant on each other. What is darkness without light?
>>
>>7560432
Can you ever be old if you never was young?
>>
>>7560432
>>>/his/
>>
>>7560613
what does emotion have to do with history?
>>
>>7560432
Not only can neither exist without the other, but they are also inextricably linked. You can never feel sadness without a percentage of happiness and vice versa.

Case in point:
>I'll never have 17 year old Jodi foster
>That gif still gets me rock hard
>>
>>7560613
Wat
>>
>>7560613

Fuck off tripnigger.
>>
File: Inside-Out-characters.png (839 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Inside-Out-characters.png
839 KB, 640x480
>>7560509
>Inside Out
It is an excellent film. Much to the point at hand, I found the name of Joy to be not the best choice. I think the idea of joy can be seen as getting at what I think OP is talking about: a sense of satisfaction/fulfillment/positiveness/etc in the face of what is negative in life. And I think happiness could be defined in a similar way (and so that wouldn't have worked any better for a name). Joy's character arc involved learning her limited role (and Sadness was the real hero of the film); I like Glee as a name for the character and her role in the story.

Anyway, OP >>7560432, if happiness can exist without sadness, I don't think we'd be able truly to recognize it as such. For a literary example, something that comes to mind is Alyosha from Brothers Karamazov. I think he experiences a kind of happiness by the end of the book, in spite of the sad things that happen earlier. I think the sad things inform the happy things and highlight how good they are.
>>
>>7560621
My fear is that I will end up with a hottie like that, and she will eventually look like old Jody foster
>>
No, unless you want to step into tautology territory.
>>
>>7560683

I don't see why it'd be tautologous, please explain
>>
If sadness didn't exist and if being neutral couldn't become sadness, then happiness would become neutral.
>>
what is happyness but a means to emotion, we are above that here, for we are on 4chan, the world of infinite, emotions epressive, expressos, we know waht it means to be all emotions, we are one and all are none for we are on 4chan, we live, we forget, expect us
>>
>>7560432
No. Happiness defines sadness, and sadness defines happiness. That's what Hegelian logic taught us.
>>
>>7560656
Inside Out is 1/5 film, you are pleb, you are moreon, you are the rocks under the shoes of shit, fuck you are noobity foloser. idiot lmao
>>
>>7561080
i can't tell if this is a meme or you're making fun of me, either way not cool man you hurt my feelings.
>>
>>7560432
No, they are two poles of on a magnet. But they are the crudest form of emotion and you should get get them out of your life. If you live for happiness you enable sadness to exist. Its better to live for the glory of existence and sit balanced between the two.

>>7560668
Jodi is fucking doable for 53 and we both know it.
>>
>>7561087
Drop trip and go back to /b/
>>
>>7560432
Happiness does not exist.
>>
If the only emotional state a human could experience would be happiness, it would be the new normal state and former indifference and sadness would become the new special states of being.
>>
Yes, these emotions are not dependent on each other. The concept and effect of emotion does not hinge what sadness is.
>>
>>7561196
then why have a word for it.
>>
>>7561252
Why have a word for the holocaust?
>>
>>7561260
It's an ethnic term that we use to reference an event in that ethnicities history and now has a more general usage as well I think.
>>
>>7560432
Without sadness we wouldn't know what happiness is
>>
>>7560565
Bob Ross 2015
>>
>>7561279

literally means "destruction by fire" in greek

much older word than the unpleasantness in poland
>>
Of course it can, but not in the way we think of normal daily life. Happiness or badness exist only with an accompanying subjective experience to endure specific moments of them. It's not hard to imagine an entity experiencing only happiness, and equating their concept of "being" with this. However, by definition happiness alone would have to be static (perfect, even), otherwise the lower of its degrees would be termed badness.
>>
What if we created perfect conditions for an individual to be happy from the day they are born to the moment of their death? They'd never experience sadness yet they'd be happy all the time.

>b-but X is the absence of Y
>>
>>7561878
yep, fuck poland, they put a bad light onto germany
>>
>>7560432
Only if you continuously increase your happiness level. Otherwise it becomes normal, boring, ...
>>
>>7562390
>fuck poland, they put a bad light onto germany
>poland
You seem to have misspelled 'Germany' in your opening imprecation
>>
I hate when people repeat a platitude and feel like they've stumbled upon some esoteric "wisdom".
>>
actaully yes. It is just a chemical reaction based on the production of endorphins. If you steadily inject some endorphin in your veins you'll be able to be happy. There is an issue: your body will have a growing defense against that hormon so you'll have to inject every time a bigger dose. This will end with your dead cuz this process is pretty dangerous but at least you'll be eppee fhur evuh
>>
Contentment is the best you can hope for if don't wish to sublimate your sadness into happiness.
>>
File: 1447721686263.png (346 KB, 1829x788) Image search: [Google]
1447721686263.png
346 KB, 1829x788
>>7562694
>>
>>7560432
Happiness is the release of certain hormones, why would it need sadness?
>>
Depending on what caused the release of hormones, those things are still not entirely internal

Why do these things make happy not how
>>
>>7560549
read the Tao bro
>>
Only if you define happiness as an emotion or set of emotions. If we took an older virtue based view of human life injecting endorphins into your veins would only make you feel pleasure, not actually be happy.

I think the emotion based view on happiness is a part of the reason why so many people today are unhappy. While I don't take Stoicism to that external denying extreme I do think happiness is impossible without virtue for the same reason that a person in terrible conditions can be more fulfilled than a billionaire.
>>
There is no happiness, only degrees of sadness.
>>
>>7562437
Believe it or not, it's not really repeated much in the west.
>>
>>7560432
Can there be a white without a black?
You tell me.
>>
>>7560432
Yes it is called heaven
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.