[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys underline or annotate books while you read? Pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Book pencil.jpg (134 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
Book pencil.jpg
134 KB, 1600x1064
Do you guys underline or annotate books while you read?

Pic Not Related
>>
>>7553147
>
On your first read?
>>
>>7553150
yes

makes subsequent reads better
>>
>>7553141
Hardly ever. I treat even paperbacks with utmost respect.
>>
>>7553156
this
>>7553164
books don't deserve any respect save just enough for the text to still be legible
>>
>>7553168
I'm even inclined to agree with you. It's instinctual for me though. When I'm sitting with a book, I just can't get myself to 'defile' it. Psychoanalyse away.
>>
>>7553168
So kindles are pretty useless for serious analysis?
>>
>>7553141
Every now and again I catch myself making notes in a small notebook I always carry around, in which I write down the page and number of a line and make quick notes on it. (That is not the purpose of that notebook, but I have it with me all the time so it just offers itself for that.)
>>
>>7553189
You can highlight on a Kindle, but I prefer the physical because it's far easier to write notes in the margins and so on. More tactile and versatile, and so on.
>>
>>7553205
But the Kindle compiles all your highlights in one easy place. Can your precious "books" do that?
>>
>>7553217
>implying that's useful

gay
>>
File: 693604.jpg (145 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
693604.jpg
145 KB, 500x375
>>7553217
I use sticky tabs, for especially significant pages I want to go back to
>>
Never underlined/annotated a book in my life.

Bought a kindle and hated it. Went back to reading books.

Bought an ipad air. It's now almost all I ever read on. I highlight the fuck out of everything with color codes and take copious notes (in-built dictionary and web search to help with this). Can see at a glance which pages are highlighted and which aren't. Can also draw on pages but I haven't felt the need to.
>>
For me it depends on the book, I'm reading American Psycho for the first time and haven't felt the need to annotate or highlight anything. Though if I'm reading a philosophical type text I'd probably make notes and underline.

Anyone else like this?
>>
I underline and annotate library books. It makes me feel intellectual knowing that the next reader is going to find all the smart notes I made.
>>
File: annotation.jpg (34 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
annotation.jpg
34 KB, 490x368
>>7553141

I annotate a few words/sentences here and there, helps retention.
>>
>>7553401
absolutely disgusting
>>
I used to not, because I didn't want to vandalize my books, but then something in my life happened and I stopped giving a fuck.
>>
Nabokov used to go as far as replacing words that he didn't like.
>>
>>7553431
based
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.