[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Nihilism so frowned upon by most people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13
Why is Nihilism so frowned upon by most people?
>>
It's not frowned upon as long as you have intelligence and a wicked sense of humor to supplement it
>>
either they think its a phase for edgelords
or they don't like to confront a nihilistic perspective
little do they know, the passive objective maturity they think they cultivate is also a phase.
>>
One needs the proper attitude in order to fully appreciate what it entails
>>
>>7547273
>>7547274
>>7547276
I think it's the rejection of moral principles that Nihilism encompasses which alienates most people.

Agree?
>>
Its uncomfortable for people to even acknowledge a nihilist perspective. People are anxious.
>>
>>7547549
Nihilism should make them not anxious though, right? I mean isn't anxiety mostly about worrying about things? So if you are nihilistic you realize the worrying about stuff is pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>7547260
Because it is a belief system that is evolutionarily selected against which doesn't benefit the human organism.

Humans have a need for practical truth, but regarding the big picture they're better off believing whatever bullshit that gets them through the day. So other belief systems fit their drives better.
>>
>>7547573
But it really is the only 'belief system' that makes sense
>>
>>7547567
People also want to be comforted by their beliefs, not merely not worried. They need to be told "things are going to be al right" fairly often, without that they start malfunctioning.
>>
>>7547576
Making sense is not a priority when it comes to belief systems for most people. It needs to make enough sense enough not to lead to noticeable cognitive dissonance of course, but for most people pick and choose half-hearted Christianity or something like that is more than sensible enough. Their 'comfy beliefs' needs are higher than their 'coherent beliefs' needs.
>>
>>7547585
So they're basically stupid.
>>
>>7547589
It's hard to argue against existential nihilism without resorting to blatant stupidity.
>>
>>7547591
This confused me (I have a 100 IQ). What?
>>
Because nihilism isn't really a philosophical position, but the absence of one
>>
>>7547260
>most people
Most people don't even think about it enough to form an opinion about it. If you were to say it to most people they'd probably give you shit for using "big words".
>>
>>7547604
underrated
>>
>>7547273
This is a reference to a meme isn't it
>>
>>7547624
In all seriousness, yes I was trolling around, but I do have an IQ of 100 (according to an online IQ test from a website).

Is an IQ of 100 really that bad though?
>>
>>7547576
>makes sense
"Making sense" is pretty subjective. Really doesn't mean anything other than "feels right to me".
>>
File: 1451958423708.gif (2 MB, 335x237) Image search: [Google]
1451958423708.gif
2 MB, 335x237
>>7547576
>my ideology is the only one that makes sense
>>
>>7547627
yes.
>>7547629
it's the most logical belief system. I think that 'making sense' and 'logicality' are pretty much synonymous.
>>
File: 1433048235633.gif (1016 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1433048235633.gif
1016 KB, 320x240
>>7547632
>believing in religion
>>
>>7547633
>it's the most logical belief system.
Most humans don't operate on logic though, as doing so is very depressing.
>>
>>7547638
>as doing so is very depressing
Hopefully within 200 years from now things will become less depressing, in terms of human suffering etc. I am optimistic though.
>>
>>7547642
Yeah fuckin right dude
>>
>>7547662
Probably won't happen though. Maybe 500 years? Idk
>>
>>7547633
>it's the most logical belief system
I really don't think nihilism constitutes much of a system nor does it have much to do with logic.
Logic is the study of truth preserving relations among propositions. It can ensure a true conclusion, but only if you star with true premises. Logic only preserves truth if it's given truth by an "extra logical" source.
I'm actually not sure what you mean by "logical". Do you mean sound?
>>
>>7547673
I mean it'zzzz the smartest shit ever kek
>>
>>7547671
Try never, why do you think at some point everyone will just suddenly stop caring about life? Humanity is not a single life form but a multiude of unliminted people all living their own 'unique' lives.

Everything wants to live, no one really wants to accept that life is nothing.

If everyone where to be a nihilist I envision the entire populase an-heroing.
>>
>>7547693
I'm talking about no war, no diesease, balanced birth rates, no fighting.
>>
>>7547260

Do you have to ask?
>>
>>7547699
Again, why would it ever happen? Especially the disease part.

Disease is just another form of life which is always evolvoing as we and our medicines do.

You will never be able to control birth rates without fully controlling the people.

It's always easier to take things with threat of war than it is to not take things.
>>
>>7547708
Yes because I want to know the answer.

Here's my theory. When people die, they go to heaven. Well no, when you die nothing happens.

This upsets people for whatever.

Before you were born or had conciseness do you remember anything? No.

So when you die and lose conciseness will you remember anything or will it matter, no.
SO WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT LIFE
>>
What's the essential boos for nihilism?
>>
>>7547714
Alright I'll give you the whole 'disease will never be preventable thing'

but everything else is reasonable right? I mean eventually everyone will be like me, when I say 'like me' I mean, not be violent, be reasonably educated, and want to help people.
>>
>>7547715

Honestly are you me?

>Same wall paper
>Research nihilism earlier
>Pretty much same outlook on life and death

You a Schopenhauer fan?
>>
Because it is something to be overcome or the greatest poison. I mean it in the way Nietzsche means it: the willing of nothingness.
>>
>>7547715
Just because you don't remember what happened before doesn't mean nothing happened before.

There is also the inverse.

The will to survive could be an inherent memory of what it was like to not exist and everything is struggling to exist as in some way it does actually remember what it was like to not, and it sucked.
>>
>>7547722
How do you know what wallpaper I have?

>Schizophrenia

What does that have to do with anything?
>>
cause ironically there's no reason to be a nihilist
>>
>>7547720
>not be violent, be reasonably educated, and want to help people.

This is all well and good, but it's not applicable to every situation. Let's say that you get confronted with no other way out of a situation but using violence, if you throw down your life you fail as a living being, but suceed as a 'human'.

What's better, being alive or being dead?

How do you feel about Alien life? What if we were to encounter a species which literally cannot feel compasion, or empathy. How are you going to deal with that entity?
>>
>>7547727
I don't deny that nothing happened before.

However, the fact that I didn't experience what happened before me (the universe as a whole) means that, well

WHO CARES
>>
>>7547730

Oh no I just meant that your milky way galaxy picture is the same as mine and it's nice.
>>
>>7547738
If I were to die in this very nano second i really wouldn't care. This doesn't mean that I don't want to live though..

Idk it's hard to explain.
>>
>>7547739
What if you were on a important mission but through some event you lost your memory.

Are you going to continue on to try to finish your important mission, or are you just going to throw your hands in the air and give up?

I am just saying there is evidence to suggest every living being remembers what it was like to not exist, that's why everything will fight tooth and nail to survive.
>>
>>7547744
>milky way galaxy

It's not the milky way galaxy though.

Do you know why this is? I'll give you a hint

(you cant take a picture of your house from inside your own house)

it's the Andromeda galaxy
>>
>>7547754
How would i be able to continue my mission if i forgot what my mission was in the first place
>>
>>7547746
>Idk it's hard to explain.
That's how I feel too. Life is a constant contradiction.

And most people approach this subject forgetting the scale of the universe and the fact that there are probably other beings out there struggling with the same existential issues we are.
>>
but
what if
n o t h i n g m a t t e r s
man?
>>
>>7547762

According to you, you haven't lost your "conciseness."
>>
>>7547762
By finding out? You answered the question, you would simply give up.
>>
>>7547758

Nice
>>
>>7547766
I forgot what i initially said. I'm kinda drunk to be honest.
>>
>>7547628

A mensa one, not really. An online one, designed to inflate people's ego? You might be retarded.
>>
>>7547260
OP I can only answer for myself, but personally I find nihilism immensely boring.

Existential nihilism is obviously true; that's not to say it's objectively true, I'm not dumb enough to say something like that. But today, in our culture, with my knowledge, etc, it seems obviously true.

It's also ridiculously reductionist. Okay, great, nothing MEANS anything good job. It's like the STEMkid who realizes his brain is just atoms which obey physical laws- yes, alright humans are deterministic objects but that's true at a level BELOW these other truths. Determinism doesn't tell you how to regard the relationship between language and qualia. Nihilism doesn't tell you what makes a man an individual. You're looking at a film and dismissing it as nothing but photons and pressure-waves; you're focusing on the atomic facts so closely you can't see the pattern they make.

Maybe the pattern isn't objectively, autistically true in the same way. But it does have the benefit of being at least slightly interesting.

Nihilism is, for me at least, clearly a true DESCRIPTION of existence at the LOWEST LEVEL.

But if you aren't interested in getting at least slightly abstract- if you aren't interested at all in PREscription? You aren't saying anything interesting at all beyond 8th grade.
>>
>>7547260

Because it is nothing.
>>
>>7547776
>you might be retarded

Why would you say this to me? It makes me feel bad.

In all seriousness though, a retarded person would have an IQ of 70.
>>
>>7547779

>qualia

Opinion discarded.
>>
but like
what
if
instead of going to heaven
there's
n o t h i n g
>>
>>7547784

Online IQ tests inflate scores anywhere from 5 to 30 points.

If you're really worried about it, find a certified test.
>>
>>7547779
>I am going to lie to myself
That's all I read.
>>
>>7547784

Take the same test, but do your best to answer everything wrong.

Post results.
>>
>>7547805
Nigger
>>
>>7547808

I mean to see how weighted the score might be.
>>
>>7547814
I weigh 130 lbs
>>
>>7547825

>being either a skellington or a manlet.

I am sorry.
>>
>>7547825
Its a grill
>>
>>7547825
115 here, git gud you casual
>>
>>7547832
>>7547839
>>7547837
Well actually I'm around 135-140 and 5'8"

I work out though
>>
>>7547850
Manlet.
>>
>>7547881
Yeah I guess? But honestly girls don't care.

The only people that care are men that are >6'0"
>>
>>7547887
>But honestly girls don't care.
Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>7547912
If you have a large penis, are personable, make her laugh, height doesn't matter.

(to a certain extent)
>>
>>7547912
if you're not shorter than them they don't think about it
>>
>>7547924

>girls caring about penis size.

Nice try anon.
>>
So what is the actual difference between atheism and nihilism?
Is atheism just a denial of religion and that's it?
>>
>>7547931
I don't know what you want from me. First you say girls care about heights next you say girls dont care about penis size.

All I know is I am 5'8", have a 6" penis, and have had sex with 1 girl 4 times.
>>
>>7547912
Not that anon, but while of course girls care, it's only a partial component of your overall attractiveness like any other trait. I'm 5'8 too and I've dated girls up to 5'10.

However, you've got a point in that I'll never get to date a 6'2 Nordic/Scandinavian blonde beauty, height is essential there.
>>
>>7547943
>6'2 Nordic/Scandinavian blonde beauty
These do not exist
>>
>>7547933
Not religion, but the denial of the existence of God(s). There are atheistic religions.

Nihilism, when used in this colloquial sense, almost always means the lack of meaning/value in the universe. Note this isn't just rejecting 'objective values' but values altogether---subjectivism/relativism isn't necessarily nihilistic. In its academic usage, it generally follows a subject to express denial of the existence or possibility of the subject's primary object (e.g. moral nihilism, epistemic nihilism). It's not commonly used, however, and people opt for more better defined and precise terms, like error theory for ethics.
>>
>>7547933
>>7547958
So yes, they mean different things but can often go hand-in-hand with some people suggesting atheism necessarily entails nihilism.
>>
>>7547958
Isn't nihilism implied when there is a denial of god(s)?
>>
File: 1452017895462.jpg (61 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1452017895462.jpg
61 KB, 550x512
>>7547779
>>7547787
>>7547797
I hate it when I put in the effort to write a good post about my real thoughts and the only (You)s I get are halfwits whose posts appear to be just the bare minimum required by 4chan to let them play the game where you have to click all the cakes.
>>
>>7547962
Some people would argue that, but a large majority of philosophers and people who study philosophy would not. Some of those think we can have objective values without God, others that values being subjective/relative doesn't make them any less 'real.'
>>
>>7547967
Because while effort is always appreciated, your post is uninteresting and uninformed. A mess, really.
>>
>>7547967
>Maybe the pattern isn't objectively, autistically true in the same way. But it does have the benefit of being at least slightly interesting.

This is just retarded though. How can a nihilist see anything interesting, that's the point of nihilisim. You are simply lying to yourself.
>>
>>7547969
Who in their right mind would argue against moral nihilism?
At best morals are inherent to the human condition (not true by the way), but even that would be arbitrary and subjective.
>>
File: you.jpg (101 KB, 589x364) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
101 KB, 589x364
>>7547975
>How can a nihilist see anything interesting, that's the point of nihilisim.

holy shit please be baiting
>>
>>7547779
>Nihilism doesn't tell you what makes a man an individua
Actually this was at the forefront of existensialism.
>>
>>7547983
There it is, the blubbering retard you became when you couldn't properly respond.

Who did you parrot that one from?
>>
>>7547632
easily a top 5 fedora gif right there
>>
>>7547573
Evolutionary selection is not the basis for why people hate things/dont hate things, for example: sex. Sex has a history of being frowned upon by many of the more prudish cultures in the world, but its the core activity of natural fitness.
>>
>>7547979
The ones in denial who can't deal with the fact their morals are worthless.
>>
>>7547308
I don't. People are taught from day one that their life has meaning, and they grow to interpret the meaning of their life as their own personal value. When people are told their life has no meaning, and consequently no value either, they kick into denial mode. No one wants to be worthless, which is what nihilism seems to imply.
>>
>>7548072
help me
>>
>>7548072
I don't think this is it either.
I think it's simply because people have a really skewed view on nihilism. Most people associate it with pessimism and depression/suicide.
>>
because it lead to the fucking Holocaust.
>>
File: Nought M. Portent.jpg (140 KB, 699x465) Image search: [Google]
Nought M. Portent.jpg
140 KB, 699x465
ITT: Edgy kids with wicked senses of humor catastrophically misunderstand nihilism.
>>
its an "edgy" line of thought that is one of those

it make sense on paper things
when its not really based in reality.
Its the natural outcome of someone who's reading a lot of conflicting, and varied philosophy that disagrees with each other.

also it doesn't make sense on paper because it contradicts its self

nihilism states that nothing is constant/absolute.
so that means that nihilism can't be constant/absolute which means it can't have a static definition.
>>
>>7548144
>nihilism states that nothing is constant/absolute.
Is this post a joke?
>>
>>7548116
Sup shitposter
>>
>>7547779

damn,u trol so gud
u make smart trole but i kno how to read u huehuehue so i make funny trol in response, ok?

what is your favorite anime?
>>
because nihilism is just a faggots way of disagreeing with everything cuz i said so.
>>
>>7548159
read >>7547975 and >>7548046 and >>7547578 and tell me I'm shitposting.
>>
>>7547274
>the only alternative to nihilism is something objective
Holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>7547887
Height does matter, in fact even the jump from 5'10" to 5'11" makes a significant difference in the number of girls who find you attractive at first sight, and first impressions are pretty important at capturing their attention in the first place.
>>7547936
They actually don't, at most a small percentage only care about girth and that's for one night stands, it's really all about skill and stamina.
>>
>>7548234
Epic meme
>>
>>7548116
It's obvious this thread's filled with teens who just read the Wikipedia article on it and glossed over the history of Nihilism, and how one of the first people to go in-depth about BTFO it right after fleshing it out. Just look at >>7547722
>Research
lol it's so fucking obvious
And the space pic?
Typical """""deep""""" pic that's always used when said teens make threads like this because they're too stupid to read the source materials and expect /lit/ to spoonfeed them
>>
>>7548237
Fuck off, retard, you can go look it up if you want, but keep being envious of those grapes, manlet.
>>
File: gp.png (45 KB, 161x257) Image search: [Google]
gp.png
45 KB, 161x257
>>7548259
I had to take a quick look at some other threads to double check whether /lit/ is always this stupid and I just never noticed. Thankfully this thread does seem to be full of teenagers- should have known from the awkwardly phrased OP.
>>
>>7547979
Well, I'm a subjectivist myself, and while I do think error theory and especially emotivism (basically the closest things to 'moral nihilism') are pretty strong positions, there are some good arguments against them. Even a couple for moral realism are pretty substantive.

>>7548046
Yeah, because moral thought never had an effect on the world. Yikes.
>>
>>7548282
>there are some good arguments against them. Even a couple for moral realism are pretty substantive.
Mind elaborating?
>>
File: new_meme.png (24 KB, 300x600) Image search: [Google]
new_meme.png
24 KB, 300x600
>>7547754
>I am just saying there is evidence to suggest every living being remembers what it was like to not exist, that's why everything will fight tooth and nail to survive.
>>
>>7547754
Stop.
>>
>>7547739
>I didn't experience what happened before me
No, you don't remember it. But what you remember is determined by your physical brain- you can hit your head and lose some memory. You can get drunk and fail to create a memory.

You still experienced those moments, though. They were completely real to you while you lived them, you just don't remember them now.

What if the object of "experience" persists before and after the brain that stores thoughts and feelings and memories? What if you DO still exist before and after death, you just exist as a moment-to-moment present tense singularity experiencing nothing at all?

It's not an idea our grammar handles well. But that has nothing to do with whether it could be true.
>>
>>7548318
>You still experienced those moments

No didn't
>>
>>7548291
Well, I'm a moral subjectivist from a continental angle, aka Nietzsche/Ortega. One's Will is one's Truth, etc etc. So you won't be convinced on anything I say about that.

But as for moral realism, the most convincing argument IMO---most people would say 'intuitions' are the best evidence, but I disagree---is Cuneo's 'normative web.' To begin, I believe the best point against moral realism is how metaphysically queer it is. That is, how bizarre is it for some 'moral fact' to exist. How could this be? No one's ever properly interacted with a morality particle.

So Cuneo brings up the point of epistemic norms/facts, or facts about some thing with such property of 'rational,' 'justified,' 'irrational,' 'misleading,' etc. Most people would be a realist about the existence of these kinds of facts. Yet, are these norms not ontologically similar to moral norms? What robust reason do we have to consider them relevantly and substantially different in their existence? We don't consider epistemic norms to be metaphysically queer at all, therefore we ought not consider moral norms metaphysically queer either.

Sorry if I'm writing poorly, I'm high af right now. See here for more info:
https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/23575-the-normative-web-an-argument-for-moral-realism/
>>
>>7548318

"You," as in the thinking and feeling and experiencing entity, are created by the brain. The brain doesn't just store things, it generates the capacity to process them, and that capacity is what you consider to be your "self."
>>
File: me in my room.png (87 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
me in my room.png
87 KB, 400x262
>>7548341
I'm glad to hear you've solved the Hard Problem of Consciousness, anon. Let me in on the secret, what allows your brain to experience the results of its calculations while a computer just dumbly moves with no sentience?
>>
>>7548355

Could be a complexity threshold, I don't fucking know.

My description is merely consistent with the phenomena of consciousness as we can currently observe it.
>>
http://www.oodegr.co/english/filosofia/nihilism_root_modern_age.htm
>>
File: 236541238745.png (276 KB, 926x480) Image search: [Google]
236541238745.png
276 KB, 926x480
>>7548366
>consciousness
>observe it

what the fuck
>>
>>7548386

No current evidence to suggest that consciousness has any component besides the interactions within the brain. We can observe those. Crudely, at the moment, but we can observe them.
>>
because

>muh hospitals
>muh bridges
>>
File: 286365.jpg (20 KB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
286365.jpg
20 KB, 350x200
>>7548402
Neil DeGrasse Tyson please leave
>>
>>7548406

Are memes the only arguments you have? Do you have a more accurate assessment of consciousness you'd like to share?
>>
>>7547975
Why would you assume that people would be so absolute in their devotion to Nihilism? I guess there is no TRUE nihilist, but thats retarded in and of itself.

>>7548046
>Assuming that Nihilism is the end all be all
Morals can be self defining, just as Nihilism defines the worth of morals as worthless other such followings can define worth in other ways. It's not wrong, there are only perspective truths... isn't that a Nihilist teaching?

>>7548195
>>7548116
>I want to be spoonfed the definition of shitposting

>>7547715
>Assumptions made by nonempirical data can be disputed by assumptions made by nonempirical data
Poor approach considering you rely off of the idea that validity is measured in empirical data, or at least its implied to be so
>>
>>7548411
Memes are what you deserve for that ridiculous response.
>>
File: hiro.png (7 KB, 400x121) Image search: [Google]
hiro.png
7 KB, 400x121
>>7547260
Philosophy belongs on /his/.

Make a thread about a specific piece of literature or fuck off to /his/.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.