[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i know lotta fellas who didnt like GR love this book quesdtion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: url.jpg (5 KB, 105x160) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
5 KB, 105x160
i know lotta fellas who didnt like GR love this book
quesdtion to people who DO like or love GR
does this book ever pick up in the way GR does?
its my last pynchon book to read, around page ~200 and its enjoyable but pretty slow going and not really gripping me
does it fly into high gear shortly or is it a pretty tame novel thru and thru?

thanks
>>
eat shit and die
>>
It's pretty consistent but has, if not heights, then at least memorable passages. IIRC by p200 most of those are yet to come, but you should be getting used to it and reading at cruise speed
>>
File: 1451867829656.jpg (27 KB, 510x498) Image search: [Google]
1451867829656.jpg
27 KB, 510x498
>>7538735
this thread has a lot of potential
>>
>>7538716
I'm going to read this as my first book of the year, I'd read nearly a third of it several years ago but became severely confused when reading it in the hospital while on morphine. I'm looking to forward to remembering stuff and hopefully being able to get more out of it now.
>>
File: shitpost.jpg (26 KB, 414x176) Image search: [Google]
shitpost.jpg
26 KB, 414x176
>>7538737
Like anyone believes that! (Hehe!!)
>>
what order should i read pynchon in
>>
>>7538737
in what way? im op
>>
>>7538850
release order
>>
>>7538850
gr-> lot 49-> v -> the rest

or baby mode
inherent vice -> lot 49 -> gr > the rest
>>
>>7538857
>>7538860
thanks, have a good night
>>
Last 1/3rd of Against the Day > Mason & Dixon > Gravity's Rainbow > V > 1st & 2nd thirds of Against the Day > Everything else
>>
>>7538850
This
>>7538857
but if you don't like V. then take a look at Mason & Dixon. If you don't like Mason & Dixon, read Inherent Vice and then hang yourself.
>>
don't read bleeding edge first - it's deceptively simple

people said it was minor pynchon when it came out, but anyone who's been following the discussion knows now that it's certainly major - perhaps more major than anything he's ever written
>>
Mason & Dixon is his most sentimental and the novel where he ultimately relinquishes some of the academic distance he maintains in his other novels. The last part of the book is worth everything you read. Better than GR and V and I love both of those works.

I consider this to be his magnum opus
>>
>>7538871
What's so hard about the last 1/3rd of Against the Day? (Assuming that you made that list in order of his hardest works.)
>>
>>7538883
he didn't
>>
File: pynchontrainwreck.jpg (49 KB, 400x607) Image search: [Google]
pynchontrainwreck.jpg
49 KB, 400x607
>>7538876
Read Bleeding Edge last summer. Why is it so major? It's pretty bold in the way it indicts the military-industrial complex in 9/11, but it also felt like it was going obnoxiously far out of its way to prove the author isn't an antisemite.
>>
>>7538883
poster you're referring to here
I wrote it in the order of which are best, not hardest
>>
>>7538900
maybe P just likes jews
he being from a rich family and all
>>
>>7538919
He's from a super-WASP Mayflower family. His wife is probably related to some Jews though, being a Roosevelt.

But for real, Pynchon definitely has a thing for Jewish women. There's some pretty intense stuff about that in V.
>>
File: average jewish woman.jpg (59 KB, 446x600) Image search: [Google]
average jewish woman.jpg
59 KB, 446x600
>>7538928
>There's some pretty intense stuff about that in V.
i think you're confusing a criticism of plastic surgeries for a fetishization of the jewish nose

but either way
>for real, Pynchon definitely has a thing for Jewish women
WOW gee what a deviant
>>
>>7538961
I guess it's not actually that intense but I thought some of his descriptions of Rachel and the kind of relationship Profane has with her seemed inspired by a little bit of a fetish.

Hey man, I've got the yellow fever in a bad way so I'm not judging.
>>
>>7538981
was rachel a jew? i've forgotten that
but she was also a 4" tall HIGH TEST redhead + impulsive gearhead

jewish background or no she's not exactly a good symbol of the people as a whole
>>
>>7538981
Pynchon has lived in New York for decades
it has a massive jewish community
oy vey
>>
>>7538999
Even if she wasn't labelled as Jewish (I think she was and that the plastic surgeon is very interested in her nose), I so strongly associate tiny high test women from New York in nice cars with God's chosen people that I would still argue that she's low-key Jewish (I went to a university with a lot of Jews from New York).

>>7539005
oy gevalt
>>
>>7539015
okay you win
i've never lived in a jewish area and didn't know those were namely jewihs features
>>
File: jewbies.jpg (261 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
jewbies.jpg
261 KB, 960x960
>>7539042
>he doesn't know about Jewbies
Let me enlighten you. And yes, they tend to be short and short-waisted so their asses are decent as well.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.