[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it bad to not want to have an opinion on some things?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1450183644371.jpg (214 KB, 1200x757) Image search: [Google]
1450183644371.jpg
214 KB, 1200x757
Why is it bad to not want to have an opinion on some things? Isn't such a position just being truly open-minded?

Are there any books about this?
>>
>>7538697
Not having an opinion isn't a thing. Give me an example.
>>
Shows a lack of knowledge or applied critical thinking on whatever topic it is
>>
>>7538708
I didn't say not having an opinion was a thing, I said I do not want to have an opinion.

I suppose that might automatically places me in some camp for every issue.

>>7538711
I can easily have an opinion while having neither of those
>>
>>7538724

>I can easily have an opinion while having neither of those

Yes, and that is equally as bad, what's your point?
>>
File: Man On Wire.jpg (48 KB, 916x503) Image search: [Google]
Man On Wire.jpg
48 KB, 916x503
>>7538697
Quietism or pyrrhonism
>>
File: south park conservatives.jpg (45 KB, 332x499) Image search: [Google]
south park conservatives.jpg
45 KB, 332x499
>>7538697
>>
>>7538738
You've stated that not having an opinion absolutely demonstrates a lack of knowledge/thinking. Now you've said that even those with an opinion can have no knowledge/thinking.

It seems then that holding an opinion is then, at best, only partially related to those values.

Can you demonstrate the value of holding an opinion vs not regarding knowledge and thinking?
>>
>>7538772
You're putting words in my mouth to try to contest an argument I'm not making. You asked why not wanting to have an opinion is a bad thing and I answered that.

Why would you want to strive for an unattainable/impossible position (i.e. having a conception of a thing without forming an opinion in any way) doesn't make sense to me.

Not having an opinion is the equivalent of ignorance, not open-mindedness.
>>
>>7538697
Because agnostics lack faith and conviction.
>>
>>7538856
We can both conceive of the number 2.87

We might have some kind of opinion regarding it, but that's negligible in terms of how we conceive the number. I would go so far as to say neither of us really wants to have an opinion regarding the number 2.87, but that doesn't mean we are any lesser for it.

It might even be possible to say that holding strong opinions regarding the number 2.87 might be prejudiced.
>>
>>7538923
If you're trying to illustrate how a desire for a not-opinion is better than holding an opinion then you should not choose an example in which you agree that one's opinion or desired lacking of an opinion of the thing in question is of negligible importance.

That said, you are making an assumption that not desiring to have an opinion is preferable to prejudice. Prejudice is only a "bad" thing if you're unwilling to alter your prejudiced opinion when faced with contradicting facts or evidence.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.