[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any literary reasons for learning Norwegian?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
Are there any literary reasons for learning Norwegian?
>>
no, it doesn't even break tier 2 for european languages.
>>
>>7536291
can I get a tier list of languages plz?
>>
>>7536305
Top Tier: English

Worth Knowing, but Not Necessary Tier: French, German

Ancient Tier: Ancient Greek, Latin

Shit Tier: Every Other Language
>>
>>7536284
No. There is a little bit of important Norwegian literature. Norway is a nice country. It's also very small and very few Norwegians live outside of Norway. It's only valuable if you are going to move to Norway.
>>
File: nod.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
nod.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>7536315
>Mfw I know all except shit tier ones
>>
>>7536305
for european languages

tier 1:
english, french, german, ancient greek (homeric and attic mostly, koine is tier 2), russian*

tier 2:
non-french romance languages, except for romanian, including latin.

tier 3:
the rest of europe.

*: disputed whether it should count as european.
>>
>>7536305
+3: English, French, German, Latin
+2: Ancient Greek, Arabic
+1: Italian, Russian, Japanese
0: Mandarin, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish
-1: Portugese, Finnish, all other Slavic languages
-2: Cantonese, modern Greek, romance languages not mentioned
-3: African languages, Indigenous American languages, all other languages not mentioned
>>
>>7536318
I think of doing so in the future, but I'm not sure. I've started learning it, by far very basically and I'm attracted to the language aesthetically, and to Norway as a beautiful land and dreamy welfare country, but overall I feel no actual ambition to give myself completely to learning it, and I think I'll go with German, that sounds much richer imo and also the literature...
>>
File: 1449280661170.jpg (53 KB, 500x439) Image search: [Google]
1449280661170.jpg
53 KB, 500x439
>>7536352
>latin above greek
>russian below arabic

pfft
>>
>>7536361
German is extremely difficult. It seems like it would be easy but it is not at all.
>>
>>7536284
I know a guy moving to norway tomorrow for 4 months

Jens, I'd advise you to read Hamsun, Zapffee and NOT(!) Knausgard.
>>
>>7536362
Ancient Greek is far less relevant than Latin to other languages today. Ancient Greek's writing system is ridiculous-looking bullshit. Arabic has the same kind of wealth of texts we have but mostly haven't heard of as, say, Japanese. Russian is one of the worst languages that exists. It sounds disgusting and its vocabulary and breadth is nothing compared to Arabic.
>>
>>7536378
>Ancient Greek is far less relevant than Latin to other languages today.
>as if that matters

>Ancient Greek's writing system is ridiculous-looking bullshit.
>can't handle a slightly different alphabet

i can't deal with this amount of pleb
>>
File: Osezno.jpg (193 KB, 1024x1016) Image search: [Google]
Osezno.jpg
193 KB, 1024x1016
Some of the Four Greats, as they are called. Knut Hamsun Karl Ove, and many other that are not that well known. I assure you that Norwegian is a beautiful language i should know I am studying this same language. Swedish and Norwegian are twin languages so with little practice you can understand both. Danish is also very similar.
>>
>>7536352
>Arabic above Sanskrit
>Italian above Tamil
>>
I-Is Hebrew top ancient tier?
>>
>>7536378
Lol, many arabic scholars today consider to written arabic to be an essentially "dead" lanuage.
>>
File: Portal.jpg (73 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Portal.jpg
73 KB, 500x373
>>7536399
That's a sad picture

Erlend Loe is one of my favorite authors. He's a sven, but most of his works are in English too. Not all, however
>>
>>7536458
Lol, many arabic scholars today consider "allah to be great", and western decadent civilisation essentially "dead". Doesnt mean we need to give a hoot about those god damn camel riders.
>>
>>7536315

>Spanish
>Third most spoken language in the world
>Some of the best pieces of literature

>Shit tier
>>
>>7536458

People will understand you pretty well though if you use MSA and everybody still writes in it if they write at all. Besides, if you use a few dialect words well and you understand a good amount of dialect, you can get around with few problems.

To be fair, MSA isn't as alive as say English or Spanish but it's definitely not Latin.

Not the anon you were speaking to but I studied overseas for a bit.
>>
File: dont.png (41 KB, 235x236) Image search: [Google]
dont.png
41 KB, 235x236
>>7536364
>German is extremely difficult.

Maybe if you're Chinese
>>
Finnish, Greek, French, German, Portuguese, Russian.
>>
>>7536364

I wouldn't say extremely difficult, but its grammar is rather tedious, and it requires one to be very meticulous when becoming proficient in it. It's because of this that the language puts a lot of people off.
>>
>>7536495
>Portuguese

really?
>>
>>7536510
It's a great language for singing and that's big in my books. Plus if you learn Portuguese you basically have 85-90% of Spanish done.
>>
>>7536502
No, it's that Anglos are lazy and when they suddenly think they learned German they are told there's some exceptions and more variations to learn then they get really mad and accuse German of being "REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD MAN, LIKE, IMPOSSIBLE, DUDE THE GRAMMAR'S SOO HARD."

If you know any Germanic language or French pls English familiarity, German is really quite intuitive and easy to learn.
>>
Well there's Kjell Askildsen
>>
>>7536315
put spanish and chinese in worth knowing tier and you have a decent list.
>>
>>7536530
>for singing

Can you elaborate? Do you mean they have good artists or that lyrics are better in Portuguese?
>>
>>7536776
>chinese
this meme shall die soon
>>
>>7536802

>Chinese written language
>a meme
>Thousands of years old
>Used in four of the five best novels ever written
>Used by nation of 1000000000+ people on the brink of global economic domination

lol
>>
>>7536853
>nation of 1000000000+ people
More like ants lmao
>>
>>7536853
>>Used in four of the five best novels ever written
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD well memed senpai
>>
>>7536477
lowest common denominator
>>
>>7536799
Not the same anon, but I speak Portuguese. It's said to be a very 'lyrical' language because of the phonology. Galician, a closely related language and offshoot of Portuguese, was especially noted for this lyrical quality and was THE ibero-romantic language for poetry in late medieval Iberia.
>>
>>7537642
gosh the WHOLE of Iberia??!?
>>
Joyce, when he was 19 learned Norwegian so that he could read Ibsen in the original.
>>
>>7536378
Иди нaхyй пиздeц.
>>
>>7536378
Found the Muslim.
>>
>>7536853
We're talking about literature, not world politics ya dunkus.
>>
>>7536542

This. Anglophones think any language is hard. I speak a little Dutch and that was kind of hard, even though the sentence syntax and grammar is more similar to English than any other languages I've tried learning.
>>
>>7536378
top pleb
>>
>>7536546

Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen someone else post his name on /lit/. Askildsen is probably my favourite writer. I've considered learning a bit of Norwegian because only like 20 of his stories have been translated into English. The only other Norwegians I have read are Hamsun and Ibsen though, so I don't think it would be worth the time and energy.
>>
>>7536378
>I fuck camels, the post
>>
>>7536326
You "know" them?
>>
>>7536776
>chinese

Chinese isn't a language, you idiot. But Mandarin and Cantonese are.
>>
File: 1433208538682.jpg (8 KB, 355x142) Image search: [Google]
1433208538682.jpg
8 KB, 355x142
>>7538059
>>
>>7536378
Absolutely halal.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.