[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a Los Angeles native living in a small small town in Pennsylvania
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151231_084723.jpg (904 KB, 2176x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151231_084723.jpg
904 KB, 2176x3264
I am a Los Angeles native living in a small small town in Pennsylvania for a few months. I thought this was a good idea but now I fear I'll go crazy without all the things in a big city. Are there any books that might help me adjust / not be a pussy?
>>
Try to enjoy the community and every moment you're there. Don't to anything immoral.
>>
Police department in my country once released a guide on how to perform suidice. You should defenitely check it out
>>
fucking leave? life is too short to be spent with savages away from civilization
>>
>>7535733
I said I'd be here until April, but I guess I can leave whenever I want. I want to stay for at least a month though. I miss my corner cafe and creative crazy people.
>>
>>7535738
guess you could Owl Downtown or something.
>>
>>7535699
You might not want to adjust. It requires shrinking your mind and narrowing your values. The people aren't magic; they don't have anything secret to teach you. You are literally deprived and are literally living in worse conditions. Unless you have something urgent to do for which you need the lack of distraction, consider going back home - before you start to dislike the townspeople.
>>
>>7535699
What town or area?
>>
>>7535752
Montgomery county, PA.

>>7535751
I'm here to write more, so that's what I'll do. I also took my road trip across the country as a rite of passage into adulthood (I'm 21).
>>
>>7535767
Montgomery county really isn't that far from philly in most places. If you're missing the big city you can always go there.
>>
>>7535770
Last time I was here I was walking around with my brother like dumb tourists. What's a hip area in Philly?
>>
Op here.
I think I subconsciously subscribed myself into a lifestyle much like Ovid's. Maybe I want to feel like I'm exiled.
>>
>>7535779
South street is pretty interesting. Also manayunk, fishtown, northern liberties, and old city.
>>
>>7535767
The other anon is right, Montgomery isn't that far from Philly. I lived on the broder of Indiana/Jefferson County after living in San Diego most of my life. Are you into hunting or fishing? Try writing about nature. Take up a pen pal to improve your writing and maybe make a friend. Small towns are gold mines for /lit/ related stuff.
>>
>>7536295
Also forgot to mention, if you choose the pen pal route, I'll be your pen pal.
>>
>>7536295
I suppose it's not too far. I just need to get adjusted. I'd love to hunt and fish, but my uncle who I'm staying with doesn't do any of that. Yeah lets be penpals.
>>
>>7536811
email me pucksrule at yahoo
>>
>you will never live in a nice, first world town
>>
>>7535699

Don't read a book. When you get back to LA everyone will think you're weird.
>>
>>7535751

You sound like a terrific person.
>>
>>7535699
Bernard Malamud, A New Life
>>
Some books that I've found in still an appreciation of small town life:

The country of the pointed firs - Sarah Orne Jewet
Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson
Trilobites and other stories - Breece D'J Pancake

That's all I can think of now. Some of Gogol's stories too, particularly those about the Ukraine. I'm sure a lot of naturalist and modernist fiction would be of interest. For what it's worth I think it's a cool idea, what you're doing. I'd like to move to a small town in rural Victoria once I've finish uni in Melbourne.
>>
>>7535699
I once went 3 months without leaving my apartment, maybe you should git gud, fuckboy
>>
>>7537970
Winesburg, Ohio sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks, based on your recommendations and desire to do what I did, your opinion is worth something.
>>
>>7538014
How the fuck did you manage that?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.