[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I escape the moral nihilism trap? After reading Ego and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Max_stirner[1].jpg (10 KB, 200x237) Image search: [Google]
Max_stirner[1].jpg
10 KB, 200x237
How do I escape the moral nihilism trap?
After reading Ego and Its Own, I cant help but agree with him, and I dont want to.
I tried reading Dostoevsky, although I always like the cool Christian characters more I can't really say that the foils he sets up really are wrong.
>>
File: mineminemine.jpg (69 KB, 998x766) Image search: [Google]
mineminemine.jpg
69 KB, 998x766
>>7534166
Spooky.
>>
>>7534166
It's not a trap. Epicureans and others have addressed this by pointing out that being a huge piece of shit (as perceived by your society) probably isn't a good plan for anyone who values his spiritual and mental self.
>>
Moral Realism: A Defence by Russ Shafer Landau
>>
I wish people would truly understand Stirner. He's not wrong, it's just what you do with his advice that can fuck you or other people over.

In the book he flatly says he loves his fellow man and enjoys making others feel good.

So do I, to a point of course. This enriches me, makes me feel good, and as long as it's at no detriment to myself, as long as I remain firmly above all else, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

We're social creatures, the vast majority of us aren't itching to ruin someone else's day, despite what a bunch of tough guys might say on the internet.
>>
>>7534459
moral nihilism doesn't necessarily mean being cruel or a bad person
>>
>>7534513
The point is, though, that Stirner (and Nietzsche) removes every justification for not ruining someone's day. Sure, YOU don't feel like it, but if someone else does you no longer have any grounds on which to tell him what he's doing is wrong.
>>
>>7534532
What he's doing is "wrong" because it conflicts with your will. Make him stop, tough luck if you can't. Luckily we'll probably never live in a world where everybody is a moral nihilist.
>>
>>7534532
True. But I am his property. Whether or not it's wrong is irrelevant. If someone wants to fuck me and I'm unable to stop them, moral philosophizing sure as shit isn't going to save the day.

This happens all the time and is an unfortunate reality of our world.

I might tell him that he's doing wrong, I'll do anything I can to unfuck myself and fuck him back, or maybe just protect myself from him and similar attacks in the future, since revenge can be a spook if you let it control you.
>>
>>7534521
People like OP call it a trap because they think there's no "real" reason not to be a monster without universal objective morality, so that's what I addressed.
>>
>>7534459
>let's say society values slavery and ritual sacrifice
>being a huge piece of shit would be freeing slaves and sacrifices
>this would be bad for your spiritual and mental self

hmm
>>
>>7534532
Even if there aren't any moral ones, there very much are practical consequences to ruining someone's day. If you're bothering others willy nilly you're not really thinking about your benefit in the long run.
>>
>>7534620
At the end of the day, as long as there's two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead.
- Liao Xu
>>
File: shah.jpg (9 KB, 236x177) Image search: [Google]
shah.jpg
9 KB, 236x177
Realize that moral nihilism is the road to "goodness."
Think of all the atrocities committed in history - Inquisition, Nazism, Christian persecutions, wars. Every participant actually thought that they were a doing a "good" thing by killing the people who they perceived as "bad." They never felt as monsters, but as saviours.
Think even on a local level, with all the bullying school, or even the 4chan raids - the thing they have in common is that they all believe that they are doing a "good" thing by chasing their prey, without even having a single thought that maybe their actions are not that "good."
Moral nihilism is the way to freedom, and to actual humanity, because every sane person understands how much bullshit has been made in the name of "good" and that all the "evil" people on the other side weren't that alien or evil after all.
If you think that a "moral nihinilist" becomes a "monster," take a good look at your life and try to see moments when your "goodness" actually harmed others.
>>
>>7534672
Tell me, is it good that you know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions?
>>
>>7534739
Inconclusive
>>
>>7534532
Smash his face in with a brick. That should tell him.
>>
>>7534776
Heh, good answer. But I think your point is a bit worn out, although not wholly wrong. It's also true that people do good with good in mind; there's a pretty big difference between a dictator and a doctor, but they both wish to do good. And even in the cases you bring up, I mean, do they not work against themselves? We've learned from them (at least for now), and they can be used against the same evils they bring.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.