[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Cormac McCarthy worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Is Cormac McCarthy worth reading?
>>
>>7533757
worst /lit/core by far.
>>
>>7533757
Yes, very. All the kids on here who hate it just don't get it, because, well, they're fucking kids. Also very recommendable is The Road.
>>
>>7533901
Why?
>>
>>7533757
No, read The Tunnel.
>>7533906
Tell me what the ending of Blood Meridian meant in your own words.
>>
>>7533909
its literally a screenplay
>>
>>7533757

I'd say his essential reading is Blood Meridian and Suttree. These are definitely worth it.
>>
remember when /lit/ loved mccarthy?
>>
Yeah man, he's pretty good. One of my favorite authors. (I'm cliche as fuck, but whatever)
>>
>>7533757
He ain't nothing.
But ye should aim to.
>>
I read Child of God a while ago, it was pretty good for that quick a read.
>>
Literally the best living author.

Start with The Road, then No Country For Old Men, then Blood Meridian and finish with All The Pretty Horses.
>>
The Road is great and very easy, haven't read his other stuff but just hit up The Road first.
>>
>>7535161
>No suttree
>>
total hack
>>
>>7533757
Minor McCarthy is best McCarthy. Outer Dark and Child of God were much more interesting and well-written and coherent than either Blood Meridian or the Road were - still got to but his other works.
>>
>>7533757

Hell yes he is. His prose is unlike any other. You'll never read an author that can make violence feel beautiful or disgusting things feel refreshing quite as well.
>>
>>7533757
Yes.
Go chronologically, feel free to skip No Country for Old Men as it's basically a screenplay.

If that's too big an ask, definitely read:

-The Crossing
-Cities of the Plain (first 2/3 might be a bit dry, but the finale+epilogue are worth it)

(Although I'd recommend reading The Border Trilogy as a whole. They work fine as stand-alone works, but if you're going to read the two, why not go all-in...)

-Suttree
-Blood Meridian

Outer Dark and Child of God are also decent reads.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.