[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here studying lit or finished their degree? Was it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: Harold-Bloom.jpg (835 KB, 1183x1200) Image search: [Google]
Harold-Bloom.jpg
835 KB, 1183x1200
Anyone here studying lit or finished their degree? Was it worth it?
>>
>paying 300k to read books
>>
>>7531086
>living in a country that charges for higher education
>>
i do comp lit and hermeneutics in a related field

i like it but you gotta dodge a lot of cuck shit m8
>>
I minored in Comparative Literature. The only good thing about it is that it teaches you how to read a large number of pages in a short amount of time while teasing out significant meaning/understanding.

If you acclimate yourself to reading a lot during your undergraduate degree, the graduate workload will be a piece of cake.

I can't honestly name a benefit it provides outside of graduate studies.
>>
>>7531144
>I can't honestly name a benefit it provides outside of graduate studies.

for me there are a lot of invisible benefits to getting an actual degree, but they are mostly ugly in weird ways

it's like saying i appreciate that i spent 4 years shitposting on /fit/ and utterly wasting my life there, because eventually it spurred me to understand fitness culture and get actually fit

all of my instincts are to say "for the love of god, just stay off /fit/ and go to the fucking gym, you can do it all on your own!" but paradoxically i wouldn't have done anything if it weren't for the wasted time
>>
Should I study Lit or Philosophy in college?
>>
>>7531081
( >>7531339 )
Yes. I was originally studying philosophy but I switched to lit because you can get some jobs with a lit degree. I'm an english tutor now, have been for a while. The money's not bad, I make 65k a year
>>
>>7531339
medical sciences
>>
>>7531089
>actually beleiving that you dont pay for "free" education
>>
>>7531435
>I'll gladly spend the rest of my life strangled by student debt as long as I don't pay taxes like those fucking commies
>>
>>7531081
most of the people i know who did english degrees ended up working in shops
>>
I got a liberal arts degree at a infamous liberal school. But basically all my courses were reading,writing and seminars. I'm 23 and I teach English overseas to kids and teens with a qt3.14 korean gf. Been here 10 months.

I don't have any loans due to athletic and academic scholarships. So I'm saving roughly $1100 a month to travel the world once I finish my year contract.

For my specific 20s goals, finishing my degree was a requirement and totally worth it.

Couldn't imagine doing this if I went to an expensive uni.
>>
I graduated in classical studies. It was worthwhile, yes.
>>
>>7531081
I have an English degree with a writing emphasis. No regrets. I want to be a writer. Taking a different field of study would have been unthinkable.
>>
>>7532133
I'm thinking about doing this next year at UniMich with a major in Greek. Is it worth it?
>>
>>7532149
How old are you and what steps have you / are you taking to become "a writer"?
>>
>>7531081
I need to research and look ahead for when I graduate later this year (English Language and Literature). All potential jobs that I've looked at look pretty shit tbqh.
>>
>>7531593
How did you get the job? I'd really prefer teaching overseas when I graduate rather than being a spellchecker for the NHS or a corporate drone in an office where some bitch named Deborah talks shit about you behind your back on her lunch break.
>>
>>7532737
Where do you live?

>>7532759
>tfw corporate drone
It fucking sucks mate, though I know people who have taught overseas and they're surrounded by deadbeats wanting to live life on easy mode and don't earn anything that much when converted into sterling.
>>
>>7532775
UK.
You actually replied to both of my posts
>>
>>7532133
For me im going between classics and history for choice, going in the summer to uni, whats classics like at uni?
>>
>>7531081

English is the degree that I'm the closest to completing. Someone convince me that I shouldn't do this.
>>
>>7532759
Yo. I teach in Korea. I found my job on Dave's ESL cafe but learn the red flags and really scan the offers for a good one. Be patient with it.

One of my cousins teaches in Taiwan and another teaches in Japan.

Leaving my home was one of the greatest decisions in my life.
>>
>>7531081
I ended up falling into English literature, and by the end of my four years some professors were pushing me toward law school. I realized law school meant putting off the real world for a few more years, so I went with it. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't. One professor was going to help me if I wanted to go to grad school and then get my doctorate in English lit, so that was an option, but I don't know what I would have made of it had I gone that route.

So I guess I can't answer your question OP, though I can tell you that if you do decide to pursue a lit degree, and if toward the end of it a bunch of well-meaning professors try to push you toward law school, DON'T DO IT!
>>
>>7531450
winner, gagnon
>>
>>7531086
300k? I went to a private university and my debt was below 50k when I got out. Then again, I had scholarships.
>>7531081
Depends what you mean by worth it.
For getting an education to get a job directly in my field like engineering, most would probably say not. I have a better job than I would have without a degree, but I wasn't in it for the money. It was worth it for the learning though. That's tough because you have to be sure to not go somewhere with a shitty SJW program, which I did. Just research your prof's work first and you should be fine there. Also, I got into a reputable grad school which I don't think I could have done without the added experience. I only mention that because some people say to do STEM undergrad and just apply straight into grad school, but that's very unlikely.
>>
>>7531081
For the ambitious, it's essential.
But if you're someone attracted to course titles like 'For a New World Lit', 'Lit as television', or '3rd World Classics' then I recommend you go to trade school.
>>
>>7534144
At the super famous liberal art schools in the usa, 50k a year seems to be the standard.
>>
>>7534155
The super famous ones tend to be really SJW now though. I was at 32k a year, but I had 20ishk a year in scholarships, average.
>>
>>7534155
>super famous liberal arts school
the pleniest of plens.
As >>7534168 has said, these schools are recognized as compromised laughing stocks. It would be a horrible investment to attend one. Community college would be a superior option.
>>
I got my bachelor's this past May and it really did help me get a job...not related to lit, but still pretty cozy. I was working a crappy part time management job before I graduated but now I'm working in finance in a semi-unique role. I'm basically almost like a male secretary/customer service consultant. I make more money and do less work and am less stressed, which is cathartic and refreshing for me.

I honestly think most jobs don't want you to have a super specialized degree. They just see if you have a degree in anything to see if you have certain qualities for time investment, commitment, and general reliability.

I do plan on looking into grad school programs but I've thought about possibly grabbing a different master's, like social work.
>>
>>7532699
Yes, I could never learn that much outside of college and despite what some people here keep telling, I hadn't any trouble to find a job. It's the kind of degree that requires both a lot of dedication and a strong discipline, not mentioning it's virtually worthless if you content yourself with the pass mark.

>>7532133
Do not expect your creative and critical faculties to be sought a lot, at least in an undergraduate degree. The first year is mostly dedicated to learning the languages grammar and honestly is a bit less stressful if you already had courses in Latin or Greek. I had 18 hours of grammar courses each week, covering syntax, morphology, phonetics, metrics, historical grammar, a bit semantics and lexicography, tropes and figures of speech and a solid introduction to epigraphy and paleography. The manual was approximately 2,400 pages long so you better be prepared to retain a huge amount of rules. Speaking of literature, we only read Cicero's “Tusculanae Disputationes” first volume in Latin and translated parts of it, while we had to read selected verses of Sophocles' “Oedipus at Colonus” and Theocritus' epigrams. There's almost no argumentation during the first year and mainly revolves around what you learn and read rather than giving your own thought. Note this is quite a quality in my opinion, I didn't want to engage in a degree where too much time was spent hearing students giving their childish analysis about works they just read and barely understand. That's partly why I didn't go for a degree in literature. The second and third years are far more exciting, you start learning rhetorics, getting big reading lists and introduction to linguistics and philology. You can also take high level language courses such as Byzantine Greek or Ecclesiastical Latin. I don't know a lot about history but I think it would focus a lot more on critical thinking.
>>
Getting my degree this summer. It's been worth it. I've read a good chunk of the canon, written some fun essays and i've still had time to read vooks for my enjoyment and to finish two novels. It's been good for me.
>>
Has anyone here pursued a foreign language degree? I'm considering Russian for the translation market and for all the classic literature.
>>
>>7533982
What's wrong with law?
>>
>>7532699
>going to U of M to study Greek
nigga are you retarded?
>>
>>7536603
Why?
>>
>>7536631
Go to some liberal arts college that isn't expensive as fuck
If you're not becoming an engineer or doctor, don't go to U of M
>>
>>7536603
Went to U-M with a girl who just got into Cambridge for their graduate classics program. What's the problem?
>>
>>7536664
>t. middle classfag too poor for a world class education, too rich for need-based grants
>>
>>7536664
I'm not the one you were answering to, I'm the guy he's asking a question. Also known as the graduate.
>>
I just finished my Bachelor of Arts with a major in Creative Writing and a minor in Scriptwriting.
My scriptwriting lecturer suggested I look into the screen academy since I got a distinction average and since I have no idea what I'm qualified for in the real world, I'm probably going to do it.
>>
>>7536688
Not sure what you're trying to say
>>
>>7536718
I'm
>>7532133
>>7535087
>>7536631
>>
Current English Lit major, I've got a lot of networks and mentorship that have opened up for publishing my work, worst case scenario is I go to grad school and become a professor in 20 years or so after traveling doing ESL or something else. Best case scenario my novel takes off and I become your next meme, less than 1% chance of that happening though. I don't really regret it, if you want a high-paying job with a Lit degree, they exist it just might take some time, I'm content with making 30-40k a year doing work while traveling. My gf and I both got full-scholarships, will have no loans and have good prospects of getting respected fellowships or jobs after school. If you like Lit do it, don't listen to the people on here who say that its just paying to read books, theres much more to come out of it even if you have to deal with shitty YA-loving english students.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.