[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good, easy books that you like to read for enjoyment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 2052.jpg (19 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
2052.jpg
19 KB, 308x475
What are some good, easy books that you like to read for enjoyment in between the heavy stuff that taxes your brain?

Pic related would be an example for me
>>
Murakami

David Foster Wallace essays
>>
If you liked the Big Sleep, I'd recommend

The Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity
The Grifters

If you're into sci-fi:

Beyond the Rift by Peter Watts
The Story of Your Life and Other Stories by Ted Chiang
Burning Chrome by William Gibson
Mockingbird by Walter Tevis
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
Flow My Tears the Policeman Said by PKD
>>
I like to read non-fiction between heavy stuff. I'm reading A Savage War of Peace right now, a history of the Algerian/French war in the 50s. Pretty cool stuff and it's a nice break. The Battle of Algiers was hardcore, fahm.
>>
everything i read, 'genre' or 'literary' fiction, is for enjoyment, and i don't feel the need to take breaks in between more complex or philosophical works. that said, i thoroughly enjoy reading james ellroy crime novels and a fair amount of science fiction.
>>
>>7529376

Murakami is comfy as fuck (Norwegian Wood, anyway).
Others include David Sedaris, shitty sci fi (Windup Girl), City of Dreaming Books...

>>7529512

>Ted Chiang
Fully agreed. Really good collection there.
>>
>>7529376
Bro, if you enjoy Chandler, you gotta read Ross MacDonald's books. The Chill is probably the best IMO. The Instant Enemy is also great.
>>
Autobiographies of rock stars are entertaining
>>
Pleb shit like McCarthy, Pynchon, Delillo are good ways to rest inbetween serious reading.
>>
>>7529376
>heavy stuff that taxes your brain
>implying that you don't read economics textbooks to wind off between each volume of proust

in all honesty, I'm reading the second Foundation book after having just finished Voices From Chernobyl.

Why did Alexievich win the Nobel if she was just transcribing what other people said?
>>
anything Christopher Moore, for sure
>>
File: the list.png (7 KB, 1521x35) Image search: [Google]
the list.png
7 KB, 1521x35
I haven't read a proper book in years because problems
What's easier to read, Neuromancer, Hyperion or The Name of the Wind?
>>
>>7530786
The Name of the Wind is probably the easiest, but also easily the worst (by far).
Neuromancer is probably the best but "hardest" to read because of Gibson's use of language/style.
Hyperion is the goldilocks option of these three.
>>
shadow of the wind by zafon
anything by h. murakami
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.