[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what age or stage of your life did you stopped being, or gradually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1305846948838.jpg (58 KB, 560x485) Image search: [Google]
1305846948838.jpg
58 KB, 560x485
At what age or stage of your life did you stopped being, or gradually became less, clever? By 'clever', I mean the general know-it-all, frequently sarcastic, attitude, that tends to infect students of philosophy, mathematics, and computer science background.
>>
When I shit the bed, got depression, had my GPA drop to 1.8, lost most of my career options, realized I'm quite emotionally vulnerable, found a qt underage gf who was more depressed than I was, watched her spiral into suicidal tendencies and eventually get incarcerated in the mental ward and subjected to electroshock "therapy", losing most of her memories of me, and had to work my way back up from that

It's hard to empathize with other people's difficulties in life if you have never experienced your own
>>
>mathematics and computer science students
>clever
You're the funny one.
>>
>>7527964
i.e. "when did life finally defeat you and strip you of your pride?"
>>
>>7528030
Not necessarily, no
>>
>>7527964
When I realized my anthropology degree is useless. I got quiet and observational. I say more clever things, but I also speak less in general
>>
>>7528030

Only in death will that happen to me anon. Pride is what drives me to live. Pride is the meaning of my life, if I lose that I'll gladly take it back from life. Even in death will I die proud and honorable even if it be a banal and quiet death.

Maybe you think I'm being an edgelord but after reading "The Tartar Steppe" at the age of 30 I knew this to be true for me.
>>
I was dosed with 8 tabs of acid a few years ago and it blew my mind open. Before that I was curious and obsessed with learning. Now I'm terrified of everything and crave validation. I don't quip or try to be witty anymore since I'm constantly gripped with existential angst and don't have the confidence to assert anything anymore.
>>
>>7528067
Oh, but I'm not OP. It's just that the original question seems to be directed towards the middle-class, sheltered male with little-to-none life experience, and I made fun of that.
>>
>>7528068

Hmm, that's strange. I've had a few psychedelic experiences myself and they've seemed to alleviate my existential angst tremendously. Maybe you just did too much too quickly and got spooked by what you saw because you weren't ready, like a child swimming in deep water where the bottom can't be seen. I know that ruined swimming for me as a kid.
>>
>>7528077
Except that you're making fun of your own distorted projection. That's not even remotely close to what was asked; one need not be a "sheltered, middle-class male with 'little-to-none' life experience" to be clever.
>>
>>7528011
>eventually get incarcerated in the mental ward and subjected to electroshock "therapy", losing most of her memories of me, and had to work my way back up from that
Jesus, this must have been terrible. How are you two doing now?
>>
>>7528096
I believe he was just reciting the happenings in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
>>
>>7528011
>things that never happened
>>
>>7528093
If only OP wasn't a faggot making unclear, equivocal statements. "I don't mean clever as in x, I mean clever as in x^2-10(sin), or maybe not"
>>
>>7527964
Who's the man in your picture, and why does he own "History of astronomy in Finland 1828-1918"
>>
>>7528126
No, his statements were perfectly clear and not at all equivocal, since equivocation is a property of T/F statements only; everything that follows "'clever'" in OP is a stipulative definition. Nowhere did he say "I don't mean 'clever' means x; clever means y or not-y.". He used the word once, then mentioned it by properly quoting it, and gave a rough, immediate definition of it.

You don't seem to have a grasp of what 'equivocal' and 'unclear' mean and are too stupid to realize your own, distorted projecting at work here.
>>
>>7528192
It's Hintikka. He passed away recently.
>>
>>7528198
By "his" you mean yours, right? I have no fucking idea what "general know-it-all, frequently sarcastic, attitude, that tends to infect students of philosophy, mathematics, and computer science background" means, I can only guess. Maybe if OP gave us an example, but nah, why bother.
>>
File: 3-Girls-Giggling.jpg (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3-Girls-Giggling.jpg
55 KB, 400x400
>>7528211
To the great sadness of the fags of 4chan.
>>
Probably matter my first year of college. I knew more than most people in high school, but when I got back home, the people that studied the subjects that interested me blew me out of the water. I learned to shut up after that.
>>
>>7527964
14, when I realized that people won't listen to you, no matter how "clever" you think you are, if you're an asshole
>>
>>7528096
We broke up
Both of us are recovered and we are taking our lives generally in a positive direction, turned out ok
>>
I think the problem with this thread is people assuming they were clever to begin with.
>>
>>7528420
I'd agee that it's the cause of mnay of my problems, but it's easy to think such a thing when it seems like you're big fish in a small pond.
>>
>>7527964

I'd like to think it was after I started reading a lot of poetry my first year of college
>>
>>7528420

what a clever thing to say
>>
>>7528420
To be clever is to challenge the human experience, against others; something of which I believe, decays at a half life of human experience. We're innately clever, all of us.
>>
>>7527964
I was sort of the opposite. Younger, I was pretty ignorant, unmotivated and not clever at all. Now I am progressing academically, life is together, and I'm more sarcastic than ever.

I think you have a limited scope of life and it's "stages"
>>
Projection: The Thread
>>
>Tense, Aspect, and Indexicality

That looks interesting.
>>
>>7527964
i was never actually clever, but people used to like me a lot when I was like 17, it's been downhill ever since
>>
>>7527964
>I mean the general know-it-all, frequently sarcastic, attitude, that tends to infect students of philosophy, mathematics, and computer science background.

I met a few such people in my youth and thought I'd rather play a clueless idiot than be associated with their likes.
>>
>>7528030
Somewhere in the summer of 2015. It was easily the shittiest period of my life by far. I became very contemplative and distanced myself from pretty much everything there is out there in the real world.
For better or worse....
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.