[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thomas Bernhard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Thomas_Bernhard_front.jpg (19 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Bernhard_front.jpg
19 KB, 320x320
Anyone in /lit/ has ever read this austrian nigga? What yall think bout him?
Don't see much about him over here and I think /lit/ would enjoy.
>>
The Loser was pretty bad. I see why spergs would find identify with his boring and misanthropic view.
>>
he is pretty good and his prose is nice
>>
Extinction is his best book
>>
>>7527295

why does he look like bill maher and richard dawkins at the same time?
>>
>>7527295
i read old masters. the parts where he rambles about heidegger and stifter for pages are hilarious. he must be read in the original german, though.
>>
>>7527295
Best European author post war.
>>
I personally like a lot these (mostly less known/less talked books, some of them are his earlier works).
Amras, Playing Watten, Walking, Frost, Gargoyles.

Amras is great and short; an early Bernhard: from long monologues, to romantic-like fragmentary writing, chenges of narrator/point of view through the book. Bernhard himself thought about this one as one of his best, or just liked it the most.

For me, Bernhard works sort of weirdly, I didn't enjoyed any of his works that much while reading it. It was sort of chore, wouldn't call it pleasent. But the real thing happened some time after reading it when thinking about those books. Now I can recall the thoughts and the atmosphere, atmosphere of dread, anger, sorrow, and the labyrinthine feel (somewhat Beckettian): falling into torrent and maelstrom of words and speech.
>>
He's one of my favorite authors

But i'm Austrian, so I may be biased
>>
>>7528188

Bernhard hates Austria though.
>>
>>7527295
He found a style that is both unique and fitting to the themes he talks about (death, everything is shit etc.). I enjoyed Wittgenstein's nephew and Woodcutters the most.

His poetry and most of his plays are shit though.

>>7528167
>For me, Bernhard works sort of weirdly, I didn't enjoyed any of his works that much while reading it. It was sort of chore, wouldn't call it pleasent. But the real thing happened some time after reading it when thinking about those books. Now I can recall the thoughts and the atmosphere, atmosphere of dread, anger, sorrow, and the labyrinthine feel (somewhat Beckettian): falling into torrent and maelstrom of words and speech.

Pretty much how I feel as well.
>>
>>7528214
Exactly one of the reasons I like him
>>
I like him a lot, but if you read a lot of him it will all feel the same, like if he was writing the one same book over and over. Doesn't mean the bad thing, but better not to read a lot Bernhard in a short time.

Also, there are maybe other Austrian writers I like more: Handke and Bachmann of course (Bernhard wrote great necrologue for Ingeborg Bachmann) and Elfriede Jelinek. But now, the main thing for me is wiener gruppe: just wonderfull what they did, together or just by themselves; particularly Bayer and Rühm and Artmann (there's not much of Achleitner alone and Wiener destroyer all of his own works, so...). They are like continuing of dada and surealism, but more in concrete poetry + Wittgenstein + baroque + Hofmannsthal and so on. They were there before Bernhard and other, they provoked before them.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.