[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My New Year's resolution is to properly start with the greeks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 1447087284960.jpg (89 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
1447087284960.jpg
89 KB, 540x562
My New Year's resolution is to properly start with the greeks.
What's yours /lit/?
>>
File: BAS.png (1 MB, 595x763) Image search: [Google]
BAS.png
1 MB, 595x763
not to shill so much.
>>
party more
start learning to dance (in a normal way not some faggy thing like ballroom dancing)
>>
>>7525851
to stay NEET and read all day
>>
>>7525851

Read 1 SparkNotes a day.
>>
>>7525851
to become an avid reader
>>
>>7525851
quit smoking
read more
make more movies
save some money
>>
>>7525851
I'll start with the greeks, too!
>>
spend more time reading than shitposting

It's ambitious, I know
>>
Masturbate more often but to books

anyone have some spicy lit sex scenes?
>>
get better at cooking
Go swimming at least twice a week
Drink less
Appreciate the people around me
Be less snarky to plebs
>>
File: 2YRFp8y.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
2YRFp8y.gif
2 MB, 235x240
Happy Christposting.

---

For what reason do the people celebrate, for what reason do the youth dance and the aged raise the glass saying, "happy new year"?

In what do the people hope of the coming year, shall it not be the same as all the years that have gone before? Shall it not be a year of wars, of adulteries, of fornications, of rumours, of arguings?

But the people have put their faith in drunkenness, their hope in death's shadow which they believe shall cover over with forgetfulness their unclean deeds.

But their beer shall not save them, and their wine will never content their hearts. In this life they shall ever be restless whispering among themselves, exploiting one and other, snatching at mean pleasures which shall not satisfy. So it is in this life, so it shall be in the next; living as beasts, they shall certainly die as beasts. In the eye of the beast there is no knowledge, but vanity and the urgings of the flesh.

It depresses the heart to see man fallen to the indignity of the beast, and it scandalises the soul to see the beloved bow down the soul before an idol. Man was not made to this corrupt purpose, but was made to rule over the earth with knowledge and with love. Though worshipping the world he became subject to it, so that no more is there communication between men and the angels of righteousness. Darkness has covered over the eye, and blindness entered the heart.

But the faithful trust in the Saviour come into the world, Who shall shepherd them through this dark and mysterious night. Their glory shall be manifest after time, their souls shining as do the stars in darkness of heaven's night. And their Queen stands upon the moon, who has the sun for her crown. The world shall be judged when their King shall return, for this is the judgement: the light is come into the world and men loved darkness rather than light, for their deeds were evil.

By the envy of the Devil death came into the world, and they follow him that are of his side. But the hope of the saints is filled with immortality, and death shall have no part in the martyrs. It has been given to those who belong to this world to make their pact with death, but to the saints belonging to the coming world to make war against death and to overcome it. Those that made their peace will death, shall be sent in peace by the Son of God to death eternal; but to those who have elected life, the Son of God shall raise to life eternal. So that all man shall have received that which they have chosen for themselves, so that no man in the end shall be able to say, "I have not gotten what I have deserved". For all justice shall be fulfilled in the world by the just God who has made it. Amen.
>>
File: 1445547770537.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1445547770537.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>7525851
same, in the literary plane

And on that subject, I've got a question. I intend to follow this guide but how does one REALLY extract the juice out of these works? It'd be nice to not simply read them superficially. And where do you go next? Stoics? Cynics?
>>
get gf
>>
>>7526083
Resume with the Romans my good friend.
>>
>>7525954
>go swimming at least twice a week

honesty anon unless you're gonna join a club, don't bother. swimming alone is fucking awful. I swam year round from like age 10 to age 18. Lifting is so much better to do alone, and makes your body look cooler.
>>
to embrace stoic philosophy and get a GPA above 3.5
>>
>>7526112
lofty objective that is
>>
File: 1445893333759.jpg (43 KB, 504x350) Image search: [Google]
1445893333759.jpg
43 KB, 504x350
Become a missionary
>>
>>7526402
ok where's my START WITH THE ROMANS flowchart
>>
>>7526439
I don't know if there is one. Typically after the Greeks you dive into more philosophy and work your way through time until you get to Stirner and shitpost for a couple years before resuming you philosophical readings
>>
I'm gonna spend at least a year studying the Greeks (already started) and the Rationalists. My final goal is to read hegel's science of logic.
>>
104 books in 2016.
>>
>>7525851
Learn Spanish, French, and Russian
Finish my backlog
And a lot of non-lit things
>>
>>7525851
>>7525894
>>7526083

Me too! Here's what I'm planning to read in 2016 (not necessarily in this order but kind of). Any tips/suggestions?

Mythology (Edith Hamilton)
The Illiad
The Odyssey
Theogony and Works and Days
The Histories (Herodotus)
Early Greek Philosophy (Penguin)
The Greek Sophists*
Plato (The Last Days of Socrates and The Republic. Is that enough?)
Aristotle
The Cynics
Essential Epicurus
Letters From a Stoic
Meditations
Outlines of Pyrrhonism
The Enneads
Neoplatonism
>>
>>7525851
To work on my /lit/ backlog, finally watch some more Hong Kong New Wave films, to lose some weight.
>>
>>7527992
>Hong Kong New Wave films
what would be some examples of that?
>>
lose 40 pounds
>>
>>7528014
Wong Kar Wai.
>>
>>7528014
see
>>7528055

I'm almost finished with his filmography and can't wait to discover new directors.
>>
>>7528088
not that guy but i rec the taiwanese new wave, imo has better directors and films than the hong kong movement
>>
>>7528132
Would "Taipei Story" be a good place to start? I really like the plot outline.
>>
to go from 6'3 185 average build to god mode pure muscle mass, however ive harbored so much hatred for normies that even when i become ubermensch, i will become completely meta and only talk to beautiful virgin women (no hymen no diamond)
>>
>>7528139
yeah thats fine

the films aren't exactly inaccessible, they are just different
>>
>>7527975
Read Oxford's The Presocratics and the Sophists.
For Plato, add Meno, Symposium, Theaetetus, Sophist, and Statesman. Definitely read Timaeus for the Neoplatonists.
Read Lucretius 'On the Nature of Things'
>>
>>7528163
Thx, senpai. Much appreciated.
>>
>>7528182
before , in-between or after that list?
>>
>>7528190
Read the Oxford presocs instead of penguin.
Read Plato in this order: Last Days, Theaetetus, Sophist, Statesman, Symposium, Republic, Timaeus.
Read Lucretius after Epicurus.
>>
I've drawn up a timetable for writing and self betterment. Not really a resolution, I decided to do it and only later remembered about the resolution tradition. I don't typically do anything of the sort.
>>
>>7528143
6'2-6'4 is the perfect height. If you can get to 210 and 12-15% bf you'll pretty much be a god

t . manlet
>>
>>7528201
thnx alot senpai, is there certian translations of the work you listen (and >>7527975
) i shoudl look for / stay away from?
>>
>>7526411
Not that anon but I have swim alone and it's really peaceful and you get relaxed real quick, I never saw the intent to get a better body I just enjoy it. Probably he does too?
>>
>>7525851
Read at least 1 book
>>
>>7525851
>>7525894
>>7527975

here's my advice for starting with the Greeks

>on the first reading, just push through. you're gonna be reading a lot of dialogues and plays. you won't really be able to properly get at the texts until your second readings, so just push through. do read summaries before each book and take notes as you go along, though.
>there are some unmissable Greeks. do not skip Hesiod, Aesop, Pindar, Xenophon, or Diogenes Laertius, for example.
>for reading Plato in translation, I would recommend buying the Hackett complete works of Plato. pretty much the only Plato you need unless you plan to learn Ancient Greek or cross-reference various English translations
>stay positive and keep your head clear of opinions people have given you about the Greeks. sounds cheesy, but if you go into an entire category of literature with any kind of negative mindset, you're bound to make excuses to stop reading. form your own opinion of the texts.
>keep some shorter texts on hand. it's a good feeling to finish a book cover-to-cover and it will keep you motivated as you push through bigger corpuses like Plato, Euripedes, Aristotle, Plutarch, etc.
>>
>>7528266
Oh, and one other thing: go ahead and read the Iliad & Odyssey. Even if you plan to read solely Ancient Greek philosophy, you need Homer. The most basic texts like Republic or Poetics draw heavily on Homer-- the tragedians, too. The worlds of fiction and non-fiction weren't nearly as divided then as they are today.
>>
>>7528266
>>7528276
Thanks! Will keep these in mind,
>>
>>7527992
>>7528055
My nigga. Summer of 2014 was my Hong Kong Second Wave period. Don't miss out on Fruit Chan either. Made in Hong Kong is amazing and you'll love it if you love Wong Kar Wai's gangster genre entries.

If you want to finish out his 1997 trilogy, The Longest Summer has some good dark humor. Not his greatest work but still worth watching if you can sympathize with an older generation becoming obsolete. Little Cheung is great, back to the gangster side of things.

The Prostitute Trilogy is weirder. I'd still recommend Hollywood Hong Kong; the others, idk. Public Toilet has some hilarious moments and pushes some stylistic boundaries more than any of his other films.
>>
>>7528290
any recs on other directors from the HK wave or other asian directors?
>>
>>7528304
I think I'm biased towards stylistic and gangster films so I mostly stick with Wong Kar Wai and Fruit Chan. Wong Kar Wai's head and shoulders above the rest, whose films you should really only check out if you're interested in stories about Hong Kong leading up to 1997.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.