[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's UNT and UT Dallas for /lit/erature studies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: UNT Eagle.png (25 KB, 517x289) Image search: [Google]
UNT Eagle.png
25 KB, 517x289
How's UNT and UT Dallas for /lit/erature studies?
>>
Had a high school teacher whose alumni was UNT. He was completely disinterested in anything experimental (think Pynchon and DFW), liked things that were more accessible. Kind of a one-track mindset towards art. Though that probably doesn't say anything about the program.
>>
>>7525354
Don't go there bro. Any real uni will just laugh at that recommendation/resume. Go to Oklahoma if you stay in 903.
>>
Also UT Dallas is extremely math and science oriented. While they do have a humanities department, it's quite small. most students are majoring in STEM subjects. I'm not sure about the quality of the program, but you might not find very many peers interested in eclectic lit, or literature at all.

>Whatever you do, avoid A&M like the plague unless you want to meet HW Bush's disciples
>>
>>7525383
im a TX res though ;-; I'm trying to find safeties in case I dont go to UT Austin... and my state schools are the cheapest option

>>7525378
>>7525385
thank you for the info
>>
>>7525378
Also I should add he majored in English. I just feel like if the program really emphasized modernism and post-modernism, he would be a lot more open to it... 'it doesn't go anywhere' 'there's no point' are things he'd say.
>>
>>7525409
Anyways, go to UT Austin, their English program is always ranked in the top 20 in the nation, not to mention a generally fantastic humanities departments in which you can take electives. If you go to UT Dallas and have a priority interest in the humanities, you will have a tough time finding classes you like, unless you have an equal interest in STEM.
>>
go to ut austin or rice my friend
>>
>>7525427
UNT is just kinda shit from what I've generally seen and heard, humanities alumni really aren't that educated and generally just have a relatively basic grasp of the humanities. Kids who just follow ideology and don't give a shit.
>>
>>7525432
rice is so hard to get into though... I dont think i'd make it.
>>
>>7525354
im also planning to pursue a masters degree in english if that helps
>>
>>7525439
work hard and believe in yourself!
>>
>>7525885
how do I believe in myself :(
>>
I can't speak for UNT but I do know that UTD is very much a STEM focused school.
>>
>>7526093
aw :( why are there no artsy fartsy schools in Texas... fuckin A&M do not want to go there
>>
>School
>Texas
:^)
>>
>>7526129
AHHH WHERE DO I GO UNIVERSITY IS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE
>>
>>7526135

Try UoH?
>>
>>7526149
I've heard the academics suck, even in the Honors Program.
>>
>>7526150
@everyschoolintexas
>>
>>7526150

Yeah, I wouldn't know desu. A quick glance at their English faculty page shows their generally well-rounded in periods and sub-fields, for the most part. Though I can't speak to the quality of education/classes.
>>
>>7526163
they're* fuck
>>
>>7526157
Really? Even UT Austin?

>>7526163
I'm really looking for academic quality... I'll look at this more in depth, thanks anon
>>
texan here, i went to uni the UK. it ended up being cheaper than my out of state options in the US
>>
>>7526192
Is it easy to get accepted?
>>
Since we're talking about colleges, anyone know anything about a school in Minnesota called St. Olaf? I could probably get in, and it looks pretty damn comfy and I've heard it's decent academically
>>
File: St-Olaf2.jpg (430 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
St-Olaf2.jpg
430 KB, 1024x768
>>7526202
pic related is the campus
>>
>>7526163
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/english/_files/pdf/undergrad/New%20Area%20List1.pdf

okay... why the hell is UT's English program so highly ranked? This curriculum is not thorough enough at all
>>
Well, you could try Baylor but I'm not really sure that Baylor could be considered a "safety school".
As others have said UTD is primarily a STEM school. I'm certain that you could find people on campus with an interest in literature and philosophy but if you want to major in literature you would probably be better off looking elsewhere. As for UNT I've heard good things about their programs for music and teaching but I don't know much else about them.
Overall, Texas is pretty shit for liberal arts. Most universities here are oriented towards stemfags, businessfags, or medfags.
>>
>>7526202
I have a friend that goes there, it is very cozy.

Can't say much about the academics, it is certainly better than most schools but I'd say it's a lower B-tier liberal arts.

If you are Scandinavian it's a treat because everyone else is too
>>
Proles ITT. Has the Reddit plague festered?
>>
Anyone here /columbia/?
>>
do any of you guys who are in college currently have any tips for rising freshmen?

how not to sperg out, meet people, get in the right classes, etc
>>
>>7526361
Baylor is too expensive. Plus I dont think I would fit in there. I'm not Christian at all.
>>
>>7526424
Idk. I'm in community college right now. But I can say ratemyprofessor.com is a lifesaver before registering. Most reviews are pretty accurate.
>>
>>7526424
just dont be a sperg, get drunk a lot desu
>>
What about University of Dallas? It's a Catholic school, supposed to be a good graduate program in the liberal arts.
>>
>>7526711
I'm looking to do my undergrad though, and at that price I could probably just go to St John's College.
>>
>>7526196
not particularly? you have to have done well (4 or 5's) in multiple AP courses to have any hope of getting into the good ones. idk what your definition of easy is tho
>>
>>7525354
>>7526203

MODS, can you please delete these shitty uni threads filled with plebs?
>>
>>7527227
TRIGGERED

I DIDN'T GET A HIGHER EDUCATION
>>
>>7526414

/nyu/ ):
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.