[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got the 1st ASoIaF book for christmas and I'm wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Game-Books-Storm.jpg (140 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Game-Books-Storm.jpg
140 KB, 1024x768
I got the 1st ASoIaF book for christmas and I'm wondering if I should bother with it. I worry because each book is like 1000 pages and there will apparently be 7 books total. I know lit likes to shit on them because they are popular/ not highbrow, but my question is weather or not they will dissapoint me I'd I'm just looking for a fun fantasy series.
>>
They won't disappoint, they're very entertaining.
>>
Just watch the series instead
>>
>>7525244
It's long, but it's easy to read so you should be able to finish it quickly. You won't waste a lot of time in just seeing for yourself weatehr you like it or not.
>>
>>7525244
read something decent

start with the greeks
>>
well, i've read the entire series 3 times, but i like to be entertained when i read and am not interested in telling myself that i'm impressing the strangers on the subway who see me reading my latest obscurity

full disclosure, first book is the best, excitement and interest waxes and wanes through the next 4, but is never terrible, sometimes great. my wife generally hates fantasy, but she was hooked by the end of the prologue. i'd say at least read that (~30 pages) before you make up your mind.
>>
>>7525471
seems like you're trying to rationally explain your inability to appreciate and understand different works of literature
>>
>>7525510
>different
difficult*
>>
>>7525510
nope, just trying to explain that i'm not a pretentious e/lit/ist fucklord who reads obtuse books just because they're obtuse and shits on things that are popular and light just because they're popular and light

like i said, i read for entertainment and wild escapism, not to reflect on the human condition and try to discover some oblique secondary message that may or may not have been the author's intent
>>
>>7525543
>like i said, i read for entertainment and wild escapism, not to reflect on the human condition and try to discover some oblique secondary message that may or may not have been the author's intent

i suggest you stick with watching television and movies. i'm being honest.
>>
>>7525244
you can stop reading after book 3. the series was meant to be a trilogy and it's clear that books 4+ lost their way in trying to extend the story.
>>
>>7525558
i'd say Jamie's adventures through the Riverlands is worth it. Also Cercei's decent into madness
>>
The first three are fairly good. Then Martin's plot runs out of steam and it all goes to pieces. The ending of A Dance With Dragons had me wanting to throw the book through my wall. I hate them. I hate how much I remember about them. I hate Martin's lazy plotting and lazier prose and I really really hate how much he's gotten away with it.
>>
>>7525567
i didn't get that far. i attempted book 4 and had to stop. i will watch the tv series at some point. if i did pick up the books again, i would skip many pov chapters.
>>
>>7525598
the show diverges from the books after book 3. for example the plot where jamie and bronn go to dorne to rescue princess marcella (which never happens in the books)
>>
>>7525555
thank you for admitting you read to feel smug and superior, and not for enjoyment. :)
>>
>>7525609
from what i understand, i would prefer the tv show's edit of martin's mess. i doubt i'll ever return to the books. there are too many other books to read.
>>
>>7525558
This. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time with books 4 and 5. Though I can't lie, I did genuinely enjoy the story, and at this point I'm still heavily anticipating the Winds of Winter.

The violence is probably the best part about the series (much more greusome and visceral and several times more exciting than the show) and it seriously tapers off after storm of swords
>>
>>7525614
and thank you for admitting your poor reading comprehension
>>
>>7525466
>implying the Greeks weren't considered genre fiction in their day

Read the Sumerians.
>>
>>7525702
na man the Sumerians were mainstream as fuck. I mean we even know they existed and are in our schools' history textbooks. true patricianship lies in undiscovered fossils
>>
>>7525543
>author's intent
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.